Really bad TV or Movie fake bands

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm watching a movie and the main couple is at a jazz club and the band is rocking, but the drummer is playing a 1 up, 1 down kit with no cymbals, and his right hand is playing a brush pattern on the floor tom, and the right hand is just resting on his thigh doing nothing. Terrible.

toddmc

Gold Member
Clearly attention to detail wasn't important to the director (who's going to notice a little thing like the drummer not playing anywhere near in time with the music anyway) ? : )

I have to ask which movie it is now (guessing it's not Whiplash)?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Argh, this stuff drives me nuts. The drummer does a fill, but the song doesn't. The song has a crash, but the drummer doesn't do it. Snare hits don't line up, the drummer is playing the hi hats but the song is on the ride. Why oh why? With all the attention to detail in tv and movies now, where everything must be perfect, how is this overlooked?

We live in a world of millions of YouTube cover drummers. Can't the director just hire one to get the playing right?

Argh, this stuff drives me nuts. The drummer does a fill, but the song doesn't. The song has a crash, but the drummer doesn't do it. Snare hits don't line up, the drummer is playing the hi hats but the song is on the ride. Why oh why? With all the attention to detail in tv and movies now, where everything must be perfect, how is this overlooked?

We live in a world of millions of YouTube cover drummers. Can't the director just hire one to get the playing right?
Watching MTV videos from the 80s and early 90s—pretty much the last time I watched MTV—you frequently had the band's own legitimate drummers playing the snare on the 1 and 3, which indicates that THAT particular gaffe is rarely to never the fault of the drummer, but could and should be laid at the feet of the editor and the director.

Also, when filming scenes for a movie, the song which is supposed to be playing and which is later heard by the audience watching the film is often inaudible to the actors.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Every movie has a crew or person listed as Continuity. They often fail.

I was watching Heartbreakers with Sigorney Weaver and Jennifer Love-Hewitt.

Chollyred

I remember watching a lot of the old variety shows, or dance shows where they's have a live band (supposedly). But you could tell the music was lip synced. They would do it that way to have control over the sound, but often you'd see drummers miss the cymbal, or a guitarist miss a chord. There were some where the guitars weren't even plugged in (before wireless).

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I remember watching a lot of the old variety shows, or dance shows where they's have a live band (supposedly). But you could tell the music was lip synced. They would do it that way to have control over the sound, but often you'd see drummers miss the cymbal, or a guitarist miss a chord. There were some where the guitars weren't even plugged in (before wireless).
This reminds me of watching Bon Jovi on Solid Gold (remember that show?) playing the "fade out" at the end of "Runaway."

Holy cow, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16LNbxwyVfY

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Watching MTV videos from the 80s and early 90s—pretty much the last time I watched MTV—you frequently had the band's own legitimate drummers playing the snare on the 1 and 3, which indicates that THAT particular gaffe is rarely to never the fault of the drummer, but could and should be laid at the feet of the editor and the director.
Yes, many videos were badly edited.

I recall shooting a video a long time ago. I could only really bring my snare drum to the location. THen I was informed I couldn't actually hit the drum, which made it near impossible to play the 5 stroke rolls that made up the verse. By the end, it was like, just screw it...

Thus, much of me was somehow not in the final edits.

Worse, are album photos with the printed backward, so the drummer/guitar player(s) are shown left-handed.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Yes, this drives me nuts. I also notice when they use the wrong era of drums in a period piece like an 80's Pearl when it's supposed to be 1970. Come on!

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Yes, this drives me nuts. I also notice when they use the wrong era of drums in a period piece like an 80's Pearl when it's supposed to be 1970. Come on!
I hope you didn't watch Bohemian Rhapsody ! I still can't understand why they made Roger play in 1970/71 a vintage - hum - 90's 5 piece power toms Sonor Hilite !
Multiple plans of this kit in the film, it really hurt my eyes. Would have it been difficult to pick up a vintage 4 piece Premier or anything else but late 60's ?