RE TUNING DRUM HEADS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShortyP

New drum heads are sweet easy to tune you break em in and it like 3 days are flawless!!!!

But we are musicians (No $ No Cry)

I'm looking for the best way to retune my heads. All coated remo or evans or whatever havn't busted through the coating, no dents, but been playing hard on them for you know 4 months or so they sounds like whooooaaaa when you hit them. (haha mic'd up)

Yes yes I know how to retune them but man theres gotta be some trick i'm not thinking of and anything online just has people tuning brand new heads

My drums sound like this

www.thehighway.biz

[remove your head and smell your drums]

sqadan

Um... you can tune them just like new heads... they may not hold that tuning as long or sound as good as new heads - but the tuning process is generally the same.

A

audiotech

If it was me, I would take the heads off the shells, clean the bearing edges and reinstall. Unless the heads are dented or destroyed, they should tune right up for you. It's good to start from scratch, that way you're not trying to over compensate for the heads not being evenly tensioned from prior use.

Dennis

sqadan

If it was me, I would take the heads off the shells, clean the bearing edges and reinstall. Unless the heads are dented or destroyed, they should tune right up for you. It's good to start from scratch, that way you're not trying to over compensate for the heads not being evenly tensioned from prior use.

Dennis
Yup... Start from scratch for the best results - even with old heads.

Old heads can be tuned just like new ones provided that they were seated properly on the shell when first installed. If they weren't, it's going to be a little more challenging to get them tuned evenly.

Heads that have been hit considerably tend to stretch and 'droop' in the center. To check,
take the head off and hold it at eye level with the rim parallel to the floor. Press the center with a finger from the bottom-up to check, or, sometimes you can see the 'droop' if it is significant.

If there is considerable 'droop' then the head won't resonate very much.