Ramble on Led Zeppelin

MisterZero

Any of you guys play this song? My band just added it and i'm trying to figure out what to hit for that sound in the beginning. Ideas? I know google said Bonham slapped a guitar case, but I'm hoping for something else.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Throw a T shirt on you floor tom and play it on that.

I always thought he was playing with his hands on his thighs.

opentune

Platinum Member
It is a throne cushion. But hey you'll need to sit on that, so you will need 2 thrones (and a mic) or..... I'd second using the T-shirted floor tom.

MisterZero

Thanks, I'll try both of these. but, that's a good point about the mic. if I hit a throne, who would hear it?? Looks like i have some R and D ahead of me.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
You could put the T shirt on your snare instead of the floor tom, and throw the snares off. That might project better.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Check some LZ videos to see what Bonham himself did. It's fair to play live what the original drummer played live. :)

Bermuda

Stroman

Platinum Member
One of the better cover bands around here plays it, and the drummer just plays on the rim of a tom. I sounds decent. I second what Bermuda said - see if you can find out what Bonham did live.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I while back I heard he played it on the sole of his boot for the recording. When my band talked about playing it I threw a little swatch of leather on my tom and it sounded pretty close. If we went through with it I was going to have a small piece made that I could tie onto a couple lugs and flip onto the head when I played Ramble On.

Lee-Bro

Check some LZ videos to see what Bonham himself did. It's fair to play live what the original drummer played live. :)

Bermuda
I can't agree with this more. There have been times when I drove myself nuts trying to work out an intro or a part and then found live versions where the part was "dumbed down" to something simpler...and yet the band and crowd just kept on rockin'.

I had a musician friend once tell me, "99% of the people you play for are musically ignorant" -meaning they don't know every lick, fill, etc. and if you hit the essence of the part, you'll be fine -as long as it isn't a distinctive signature lick.