Radar Love (Golden Earring) ... Fast shuffle!

Mark_S

Silver Member
I'm meant to be auditioning for a band in a week. Most songs they've mentioned are fairly straight forward, like Live and Let Die, that sort of thing.

But they also mentioned Radar Love. Now, is it me or is this a one handed shuffle on the snare at about 200bpm?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf53Pg2AkdY&spfreload=10

That's kind of stumped me. I don't do many shuffles and not at that speed. I could frig it and do it with 2 hands, but it sure feels like cheating!

Does anyone else find that hard? Even with Moeller? I'm sure I could get it with time, but not sure 1 week is enough without cheating.

Thanks,
Mark.

sumdrumguy

Can you play double stroke roll (RRLL...)? If so, play that on the snare, accenting the first L. If not, play singles (RLRL...), accenting every second R.

Either of those, swung, will create a similar feel... and give you time to work on your shuffle ;)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Not one-handed, it's both hands on the snare in the verses. Then hat/snare in the b-section and choruses.

Here's a cleaned-up version of the original. :)

bermuda

Attachments

Mark_S

Silver Member
Not one-handed, it's both hands on the snare in the verses. Then hat/snare in the b-section and choruses.

Here's a cleaned-up version of the original. :)

bermuda
Thanks for the MP3 :)

What I meant to say was, he seems to be doing the shuffle with one hand, but still putting in the main accent with his left hand. Is that not what you see? He seems to be doing a fast Moeller motion with his right hand. I can do it, just not consistently at that speed, or as musical sounding...

Mark_S

Silver Member
Thanks guys, I'll try it both ways (doubles or singles); either will prevent my right hand going into a spasm! Or as Jojo would say, stop me going into convulsions ;-)

Mark.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Yep, right hand does the ba-bum, ba-bum, ba-bum of the shuffle and the left does the accents on 2 & 4. If you try it as single strokes with both hands it will probably lose that shuffle feel and feel a bit too "mechanical" with natural accents not falling in the right place.

BTW, how about that audience in the video? What a rowdy crowd. Should have brought in security to tame them.

Mark_S

Silver Member
Yep, right hand does the ba-bum, ba-bum, ba-bum of the shuffle and the left does the accents on 2 & 4. If you try it as single strokes with both hands it will probably lose that shuffle feel and feel a bit too "mechanical" with natural accents not falling in the right place.

BTW, how about that audience in the video? What a rowdy crowd. Should have brought in security to tame them.
Shuffle feels okay with single strokes to be honest, but I will also try it as double strokes as suggested, but then eventually as you say above, just because I don't like to be beaten ;-)

Mark.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I would definately do rrLl with that capital l being the accent. Way less effort than rlRl, and I think it would keep the actual feel of the song better.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the MP3 :)

What I meant to say was, he seems to be doing the shuffle with one hand, but still putting in the main accent with his left hand. Is that not what you see? He seems to be doing a fast Moeller motion with his right hand. I can do it, just not consistently at that speed, or as musical sounding...
I don't know the method employed, but it's really not that fast. I do like Dr_Watso's rrLl suggestion though. It's all about the end, not the means to the end.

Bermuda

Last edited:

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
I would try all 3 suggestions, but it sounds like the right hand doing all the work except for the 2 and 4 is out of the question. You might try rehearsing it and do a few bars of it live so you get better at it, it'll help with HH shuffling.

I sat down and found that the rlRl is about the same difficulty as the rrLl and provides the same feel. No one will tell the difference, trust me. The thing to watch on the rrLl is the last beat, the l. Make sure it's not accented after coming off the accented L.

But if you don't have to 'Bermuda it' for the sake of a tribute or identical cover, maybe do your own thing without losing the feel of the song.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Jim Chapin told me Radar Love was a good song to practice moeller with. Still the most surreal day I've had but the most intense 3 hours of my life! Top bloke really had a way of putting things on your level!

Making it swing is the hard bit. Moeller is an amazing technique but you can't teach taste or feel.

Use Rush Force 10 to ease yourself in, its a straighter feel but slower than radar love.

eamesuser

Silver Member
I tried it w/the shuffle right,L on 2 and 4 and I couldn't always get it to swing,so
I did the Charlie Watts thing,I play the shuffle on the right hand,but leave out the 2 and 4,letting the left hand play it like this rrrLrrrL.I also found that using the french grip on the right hand helped a lot also.

Mark_S

Silver Member
Thanks everyone, the 2 links are very helpful.

Bermuda you're right, it isn't that fast, I just don't shuffle anywhere near enough. It is now on my regular practise routine!

:)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The man himself breaks down what the right and left hand are doing right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RRTgIippxU

This clip isn't in English, but he gives you a sample of each hand individually.
I do have to say, I've heard the song a million times, and I never quite understood exactly what he was doing, because I hear the shuffle, but I also hear what sounds like a 3rd hand in there at times adding flams.

Seeing the break down, it makes so much more sense now. The right hand plays the consistent shuffle, the left hand plays the 2 & 4 AND adds in ghost notes to give the flam effect.

Genius.

Mark_S

Silver Member
I do have to say, I've heard the song a million times, and I never quite understood exactly what he was doing, because I hear the shuffle, but I also hear what sounds like a 3rd hand in there at times adding flams.

Seeing the break down, it makes so much more sense now. The right hand plays the consistent shuffle, the left hand plays the 2 & 4 AND adds in ghost notes to give the flam effect.

Genius.
It's surprisingly easy to do those little bits once you get the groove going... if you slow the tempo down! But at 200bpm I go into convulsions (I can't get JoJo saying that out of my head, cracks me up every time) if I try and do it on one hand, so for now I'm splitting the work by doing doubles.

I can just manage the shuffle for a reasonable period of time at around 190 so a bit to go yet. Now I just need to make my foot faster for doubles on the kick!

It's a fair bit easier now I've corrected my grip too.. Only took me 15 years to realise it was wrong...

Icetech

Gold Member
I always thought it was just a train beat.. (which i suck at still) and sorry if someone already mentioned it.. didnt read the whole thing.. cause im lazy. which is why my train beat sucks still...