Quieter kit needed

con struct

Platinum Member
Jesus Christ, just play lighter for crying out loud. It's technique, control. You don't need to buy anything.

You should be able to play your drums, to play any drums, from whisper-soft to devastatingly-loud.

dmacc

Platinum Member
I tend to go with the opinion that this is a control issue and not so much gear.

I'll ask the question though - quiet in relation to what? How quiet does it need to be and conversely what's too loud. Too loud in a restaurant gig is different than too loud in a club on a stage playing rock.

That being said, there is indeed a quieter cymbal based on lathing techniques, weight, sizes, etc.... Example a Bosphorus Master's Vintage is inherently quieter than say a Zildjian "A" or other types of cymbals. I own a bunch of different stlyes of cymbals and there are indeed differences.

There are sticks that can assist in playing quieter. These will not provide you with any more or less control than you have. That's up to you to develop.

At the end of the day though - there's nothing but development of control that will allow you to play any volume on any choice of drum or cymbal.

mikel

Platinum Member
Playing softer is the cheapest and most versatile option, but If you want to go down the equipment avenue, try using V/F 8D sticks. Use a felt or wool B/D beater and darker cymbals.
I use a felt beater to lose some of the BD when practicing.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
Volume is the biggest issue we drummers face. It's hard to be behind the drums and at the front of the house at the same time. We have to rely on someone else, at least to get us on track.

With enough practice you will be able to learn how hard to hit but, unless you have some kind of feed back, it's just a guess.

Or.....you could get lazy and use Edrums. Then it's just a matter of turning the volume knob up/down :)

radman

A lot of good advice (opentune, dmacc, con struct's blunt, but accurate ... lol). Agree with the "it's all about control" sentiment.

The pics indicate you are surrounded by glass and hardware flooring. That "cracking" Chad Smith snare is not your friend. (Although, perhaps it can be tuned lower...?)

Don't lose the gig for you and your pals .... use multi rods if you have to. BUT, this is a great opportunity to add a new skill - playing softly at all tempos!

best,
radman

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I got a good crash course lesson on dynamics in my playing when I started my new band. Then it was just myself and a piano player who sang lead.

We didn't have anything to run vocals out of so I just had to stuff my kick full of bedsheets, bought a set of 7As and played a light as I could, it took some time but eventually my playing developed dynamics and I could play comfortably with low volume. I also don't care for rods or brushes as a low-volume substitute for sticks. I think everyone has covered this well enough but the truth is that it takes practice just ike every other technique. Start with smaller sticks and a foam beater, tune your snare lower and the rest is in the hands.

I read an article in a Modern Drummer issue that had a big influence on me when I started playing. The writer asserts that he believes that he should be able to play any piece of gear quietly. Obviously thinner cymbals and smaller drums are going to be more suted for a low-volume gig but the real trick is going to be your teqhnique.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I picked up some vater "recording" sticks, they make a difference, hopefully it's enough. They actually make my hats sound alot nicer with their little tips. I tried various canes and rods but I just don't like playing with them. I'll see how the next gig goes.