Quick question on tuning

geek_boy_in

Having ripples on the drum head. Will it damage the shell or over a longer period of time will it deform the round shells ?

Thanks.

poika

Silver Member
It probably means that the head is not tight enough.
Or that the head is broke and it's time to replace it.
Or that the edge of the shell isn't true.

Do yourself a favour and take some time to watch some BOB GATZEN videos from youtube. He's got some pretty good, general info on tuning to get you started.

opentune

Platinum Member
head is not tight and/or tension is VERY uneven.
Yep, Gatzen videos are a great start. Ther eis also adocument on the net by Professor drum'. Take the time and patience needed to learn to put heads on and tune properly. Your drums will sound so much better and you will have learned so much about how they function.

geek_boy_in

I apologize if I did not provide enough context and so the question appeared a bit silly. This particular Tom while tuning is falling in the right interval between the other toms and I like the sound. I know the head is not tight. My question was very specific. Will such uneven tension damage a shell over longer term ?

opentune

Platinum Member
No ....crinkled heads will not damage a wooden shell.
But a crinkled head means it is not seated right, or tensioned correctly, even if tuned in the right "interval" of drums. If for example its the batter head, you could tune tighten and get the wrinkle out, and then adjust your pitch to where you want using the reso head.
Old saying..."batter for feel, reso for pitch".