Questions about Brass

Aeolian

Platinum Member
i really think that those blackish colour brass snares are some type of alloy
YES, the sound changes because its a different chemical structure
The black is zinc sulfate and sodium thiocyanate added to a second nickel plating layer. Typically a standard nickel underplate is done over the brass, and then either black nickel or black chrome over that. The alloy of the brass is not a part of the equation. Now, there may be different brass alloys used, especially when it's going to get a cosmetic finish plating. But it isn't the finish plating (which is in micro inches) that dominates the resonant behavior of the shell.

ecpietscheck

i really think that those blackish colour brass snares are some type of alloy
YES, the sound changes because its a different chemical structure

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Also, before you can chrome plate brass, you still put a nickel underplate on it. The finish is very thin though. Maybe you could tell the difference if it was a bell or something where you were only hearing the sound of the brass. I doubt it makes much difference in the sound of a snare.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I don't know for a fact, but I've always assumed the nickel plating so common on brass snares was because the nickel doesn't tarnish anywhere as easily as brass.

That doesn't explain why drum companies didn't try clear lacquer instead or (or in addition to) nickel or chrome plating in the early days, since it is quite common now.

Fuzrock

Silver Member
I had the COB up until a couple of weeks ago when I got my Black Beauty. I would like to have kept both but it just wasn't in the cards money-wise with Christmas coming up and all. The COB is a flat silver color on the inside with the exception of one spot inside the bottom bearing edge where you can see a hint of that goldish color. The two snare drums (COB & BB) do have a slightly different sound to them. They're in the same ball park though and I can only describe the difference as subtle. The BB seems to be slightly more focused.
Ludwig also offers a straight up brass version of the Supraphonic. I haven't had the opportunity to play one, though. I know that they do put some sort of finish coat on those because brass tarnishes so easily.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Almost everytime I encounter brass, it has a golden hue to it. When I think of brass I think of a shiny golden colored metal you see in a lot of ceiling fans, or a shiny belt buckle.

Why then is my Pearl Brass Sensitone Elite a dark color?
Why is my Black over Brass Ludwig Black Beauty a dark color? I'm pretty sure it's a nickel plating, but if you nickel plate brass, doesn't that make a different tone than non plated brass?

Are the COB snares dark on the inside or golden?

Other than looks why do they nickel plate brass? (It does look terrific)

I realize they make golden colored brass drums. I wonder if I A/B'd golden and dark brass, would I hear a big difference?