QUESTION FOR YAMAHA GURUS

yesdog

Silver Member
I have a set of recording custom drums(9000 series) I am thinking of selling. They are from the mid 80s. They are jade green and all together I have 2, 22 x18 kicks, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, toms. They are standard sizes. I have some pics. I am curious if they are rare and can fetch some good cash. There will be no hardware or cymbals included. maybe the snare.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Good news:
Yamaha 9000 series are still popular and very desirable.

Bad news:
They are still made today, anyone who wants one can go into any Yamaha dealer and order them. So it's not as if they are some rare vintage drum. Although new one are still darn expensive.

Green is a very rare color, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a Yamaha in green. On the flip side, they're rare because green has never been a popular color in drums, and the color could be a turn off to many buyers.

And then on top of that, you need to find the guy who wants such a large kit.

And overall, with the economy, the market is flooded with used kits. This isn't the time to get top dollar.

They are certainly worth some good cash, but it could take a while to find the right person.

yesdog

Silver Member
Good news:
Yamaha 9000 series are still popular and very desirable.

Bad news:
They are still made today, anyone who wants one can go into any Yamaha dealer and order them. So it's not as if they are some rare vintage drum. Although new one are still darn expensive.

Green is a very rare color, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a Yamaha in green. On the flip side, they're rare because green has never been a popular color in drums, and the color could be a turn off to many buyers.

And then on top of that, you need to find the guy who wants such a large kit.

And overall, with the economy, the market is flooded with used kits. This isn't the time to get top dollar.

They are certainly worth some good cash, but it could take a while to find the right person.
Peter Erskine had a set of jade green yamaha's. From what I was told they made a very short run of this color.

F

Fishgopop007

Why not break the large kit down, into 2 smaller kits that you can sell individually? Thats probably what I would do, although I may take some flak for that statement :p

George.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Break the kit into two smaller kits ... or sell all the drums individually.​
My first set of RC's was in the Vintage Tobacco burst ... fairly rare ... 22, 13, 16 ...only seen 2 kits in 5 years ... I sold that kit for $875.​
My current set, I bought for $995, Vintage Natural, 22, 12, 13, 14 .... a little easier to find those, but still ... not nearly as common as the black, white, cherry, quartz, or red finishes.​
Certainly, I'd say in the "ballpark" of $2K ... maybe more ...​

daredrummer

Gold Member
Or break it into two kits, sell one and keep one for yourself! Why would you want to sell those fabulous drums???

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Remember. These are the higher sought after old RC's with different shell base, no Yess (imo better sound spectrum) and colors that you can't get todat (not even as special order)

Im thinking of Selling my 70's RC's as well (to buy my old kit back) but If that wasnt the case I would never even thinking about selling them.

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I own a set of recording customs that I got direct from Yamaha. I thought and please correct me if i'm wrong that recording customs only came in the cherry wood finish or black? I have the cherry wood color . I didn't think they made recording customs in any other colors.

Joe