Putting your name on bass drum reso head

toddmc

Gold Member
People can talk all day about being selfless or a "team player," but musicians are all about one thing at the root of it: "Look at me!"

All of us. Whether we care to admit it or not. No point in denying it.

Wear that name on your bass reso with pride!
Not me man, I'm in it purely for the art : P

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Anon, did BP really put up those signs? Gives FOH a new meaning (full of himself)

Tell you what Gretchen, in London, we can both be boring together. Between my drooling, stuttering, bad breath, and male scratching habits, well, that's why I'm a forum-ite. I'm much cooler here than in real life.
From an interview:
RBMA: The signs that he used to carry around 'Pretty Purdie, The Hit Maker', they didn't lie. You're responsible for hit after hit. Did you really go to the studio and put the sign up?

Bernard Purdie: Oh, yes. Once the signs went up, I was ready to perform, it's that simple. We all have our gimmicks for what we do, and it wasn't even my idea in the first place, it was the bass player that I was working with for a few years, his name was Jimmy Tyrell and he said: "You know, you should make up this sign..." "Yeah, yeah..."

Two years he stayed on, and then one day I looked across the street and there was a sign maker right next to my cleaners - I never knew it was there. I'd been to this place for two years and never knew this sign maker was there. So I go in there and say: "Listen, I want to make up a sign," and he says: "OK." I say: "The Hitmaker," and he says: "Well, what's that for?" I said: "Music, I'm in music." "OK, alright," he says.

So I start making a few quotes, like: "Call me, if you need me - the hitmaker," and I was telling him about some of the records that I'd actually been on, and I didn't realise that I was telling him just that. So I left, and two days later, the guy came looking for me. "Hey! Hey you! I got those signs you wanted!" I'm like: "Signs? Yeah!" So I go inside and he had made up four signs. In colour. Red, yellow, green - they were all in different colours, colours going all different ways, and I loved every last one of them.

"Call me, if you need me", "If you need me, call me - the little hitmaker", "Call me - the hitmaker", "If you need me...," then he put a smile on the bottom of that one, didn't say call me... and I say: "Oh, you didn't put the telephone?" and he said: "Noooo - then you hand them a card. Yes, that way you don't give away everything at once."

And sure enough it worked 'cause by this time I'd already made a couple of hit records, which was ”Just One Look“ by Doris Troy, and... let's see, at that time I'm thinking about Les Cooper ”Wiggle Wobble“ and we had a couple of other things we were working on at that time. Hmmm, with Curtis [Mayfield] with the Isley Brothers ”It's Your Thing“ and a few others.
http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lectures/bernard-purdie--give-the-drummer-some?template=RBMA_Lecture/transcript

Bottom line of both our posts - don't expect too much! I'm a real barrel of laughs if you enjoy talking about the nature of the universe, life, consciousness and the nature of reality for hours on end ...

Chunky

Silver Member
I still think it's corn holio...

I Heard when Queen first started they advertised as Queen featuring Roger Taylor. It just instantly made me think 'who the hell does he think he is'?!

I love queen and he wrote great parts to their songs but why try to stand out from the band so much? At's as if he's letting people know he's doing them a favour and he's bigger than them.
Sure it's a gimmick to get them attention in the early days but that stuff can backfire, probably more so now where people are less easily impressed and more inclined to go on a forum and bitch about it *cough*

And as for Bernard Purdie, I love the guy, he really enjoys playing but, when he talks he just goes a bit over the top with the ego and I think it spoils him.

Again, his trick was fresh back then, doubt you could do that now and with the level of sterile, technically perfect professionals who turn up with no ego it's hard to compete, unless you have the sortnof magic touch people just can't say no too.

But I'd still wager more producers would opt for the quiet 'just get it done' guy.

So yeah, bass drum names equal cack. Band names and artwork are great. Why compete with your own band?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I still think it's corn holio...

I Heard when Queen first started they advertised as Queen featuring Roger Taylor. It just instantly made me think 'who the hell does he think he is'?!

I love queen and he wrote great parts to their songs but why try to stand out from the band so much? At's as if he's letting people know he's doing them a favour and he's bigger than them.
Sure it's a gimmick to get them attention in the early days but that stuff can backfire, probably more so now where people are less easily impressed and more inclined to go on a forum and bitch about it *cough*

And as for Bernard Purdie, I love the guy, he really enjoys playing but, when he talks he just goes a bit over the top with the ego and I think it spoils him.

Again, his trick was fresh back then, doubt you could do that now and with the level of sterile, technically perfect professionals who turn up with no ego it's hard to compete, unless you have the sortnof magic touch people just can't say no too.

But I'd still wager more producers would opt for the quiet 'just get it done' guy.

So yeah, bass drum names equal cack. Band names and artwork are great. Why compete with your own band?
Remember when Carmine Appice had his name on his bass drums when he played with Rod Stewart? And in an interview back in the day it was in his contract that he got to do a drum solo every night. I know he wrote "Do ya' think I'm sexy" and made a ton of money, but I'm sure Rod Stewart was wondering who's name was on the tickets and albums they were selling at the time ;)

I think Ozzy Osbourne, when he had Carmine in his band, said; "Carmine had to leave the band because of health reasons. He made me sick".

Chunky

Silver Member
Remember when Carmine Appice had his name on his bass drums when he played with Rod Stewart? And in an interview back in the day it was in his contract that he got to do a drum solo every night. I know he wrote "Do ya' think I'm sexy" and made a ton of money, but I'm sure Rod Stewart was wondering who's name was on the tickets and albums they were selling at the time ;)

I think Ozzy Osbourne, when he had Carmine in his band, said; "Carmine had to leave the band because of health reasons. He made me sick".
Hahahaha exactly!

I'd feel like a dick demanding something like that. I suppose he had him held to ransom?

I bet the atmosphere was great...

Anon La Ply

Renegade
The full story exonerates him somewhat. Apparently it was the idea of a bassist he played with and BP didn't act on it for a couple of years until he did it on a whim passing a shop that did signs. He's living in a very different world to us - one where a bass player might suggest getting a sign saying you're The Hit Maker ...

He obviously has a great rep in the studio so I can't imagine anyone worrying much about some signs if he's nailing first takes. These days I imagine he'd be unacceptable at sessions since he'd require unaffordable extravagances like payment, air and maybe a glass of water or a coffee.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Nobody, I mean NOBODY, even notices that you have your initials on your bass drum head. So have fun with it. It's like having a little secret except it's right out in the open. Drummers must have some kind of inferiority complex to be worrying about stuff like this.

Musicians are wearing a costume on stage. I don't care if it's a suit, a pressed pair of jeans, a cowboy hat, makeup, rhinestones or spandex. It's a show. It's entertainment. It's not supposed to be taken so seriously.

I say it a lot because it's true: It's good to have some swagger.