Progressive Drummers

synergy

I have been recently been listening to Progressive groups such as Dreamtheater and Porcupine Tree- Opeth etc.

I currently play straight 4/4 type rock music but really want to expand into stuff like this.

Do any of you out there play more progressive stuff? I would really like advice on how you moved out of the straight rock stuff and learned to play this type of style?

I hear alot of odd times signatures and tempo changes etc...

I dont play double pedal and both Mike P and Gavin H both play- So is that something that I must consider- I have never really been interested in learning DB- but I will look into it if it will help me to play within this style.

Ultimately I would like to incorporate things thatr these types of drummers do back into my basic rock patterns-

I guess I am just asking if there are certain things I should focus on?

Thanks

That Guy

Platinum Member
For me, learning how to read and play music was a natural progression out of the straight forward basics of drumming. My instructor also had a large part in helping with the transition, odd time sigs, 4 way independence, db mechanics etc. Do you read? If not, your in for a challenge but not its not impossible.

Take a drummer like Gavin. While your not going to be able to mimic his abilities right away you should be able to focus on the basic structure of the songs and build your drumming from there. When playing unfamiliar styles its important to not become discouraged and expect too much from yourself. Focus on the simplistic structure of the song, keep your eyes and ears open and start incorporating what you are capable of.

Most important: set aside a time for practice. Not playing... PRACTICE.

Last edited:

synergy

Thanks That Guy,

I understand that by buying a Db and a few splash cymbals and turning them upside down I will not automatically sound like Gavin.

I dont read- I am just starting to learn how to- not going so well at the moment!!! haha- Life getting in the way etc..

I just really like the way he moves in and out of different signataures with such fluidity-

Damn practice!!!

Dont you just wish you could buy talent!!! haha

That Guy

Platinum Member
Thanks That Guy,

I understand that by buying a Db and a few splash cymbals and turning them upside down I will not automatically sound like Gavin.

I dont read- I am just starting to learn how to- not going so well at the moment!!! haha- Life getting in the way etc..

I just really like the way he moves in and out of different signataures with such fluidity-

Damn practice!!!

Dont you just wish you could buy talent!!! haha
Haha, ya buddy.. I feel ya. But things are so much sweeter and appreciated when worked towards and earned. If your just getting started in reading it would be wise to get an instructor as well if possible. He will be able to critique your technique, answer questions, give you visual and audio examples, and most of all... help to keep you from developing bad habits. When a drummer develops bad habits in technique and timing it can take years to undo. You don't want to go that route. A drummer who can't keep a beat is a drummer without a job.

You don't need to spend a fortune on an instructor but it is wise to have one through your progression. Sometimes it can be a bittersweet adventure financially but in the end its like fresh honey.. golden, clear, formable, pleasant and always palatable.

Practice!!.. lol