Problems with Ludwig Atlas Arch Rail

RIIngram

I just installed the rail on my bass drum (two batter side lugs, top center). I don't like how heavy the whole assembly is on the bass drum. The 8x12 tom and atlas assembly actually pulls the bass drum to the left slightly. It doesn't fall, but with a little extra effort, it has no problem wanting to fall leftward. Plus, the whole thing seems very heavy on the two lugs it attaches to.

I guess I am wondering if I am being too particular?... The way I ordered the drums provided that the tom mounted with an Atlas mount to a cymbal stand. I wasn't used to that setup but it totally isolates the bass and the tom, which I feel tends to allow both to resonate. But with the Atlas Arch Rail, I have my concerns especially how heavy it is. I am one of those picky drummers that wants the tom to nearly be at the same height as the snare head, maybe just a little higher. With the Atlas arch, it doesn't even want to place the tom exactly where I want it...

Should I give up on the Atlas Arch rail and put my regular lugs back on? Also... HAS ANYONE HAD ANY DEFECT ON DRUM SHELLS BECAUSE OF PROLONGED USE OF THE ATLAS ARCH AND THE ODD WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I have no experience with it.

It's clear that you don't like it. That's OK. Your reasons sound plenty valid.

Being particular is a great thing, it shows that you know exactly what you want.

So the arch isn't for you.

charliedrummer

I have no experience with the Atlas arch, although a common complaint I've heard is its relative weight and massiveness. I have an old-style rail consolette on my vintage Ludwig kit that tends to slip over time, despite my attempts to tighten it down. I've also found that I just can't get it in the position I like (a little further to my left). I've resorted to using a snare drum stand, which takes away a bit of the vintage vibe of the kit. However, I can now position my rack tom exactly where I like and I have no fear of it slipping and damaging the finish on my bass drum.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Except for the W&A and Slingerland reproduction mounts offered by Steve Maxwell, what you are describing is the bane of all of the currently-available rail mount systems. The Atlas mounts, the DW mounts, and the Gibraltar mounts are way too heavy, clunky, overengineered, and short on adjustment options despite being laden with multiple adjustment points, gears, locks, and extensions. They are all a mess.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Have you tried to put the atlas on the two upper lugs instead?
It's true that on the up and side lugs it seems unbalanced.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I have no experience with it.

It's clear that you don't like it. That's OK. Your reasons sound plenty valid.

Being particular is a great thing, it shows that you know exactly what you want.

So the arch isn't for you.
Listen, I wanted a rail mount for years. I think they looks so cool, so I finally got one! In order to to make it halfway comfortable, I had to do this:

It's sort of hard to tell, but look how far over I had to lean the tom holder. It still wasn't comfortable no matter what I tried:

So, I ended up doing what I've been doing for years...putting the rack tom on a snare stand. Looks awesome (IMO), and it feels great.

Now, my kick drum has a rail mount that has been screwed into the shell that I don't even use. I don't care though. I really love this set.

Do what makes you feel comfortable, and there's nothing wrong with admitting that something isn't working for you...even if it stings a little to admit it at first. :)

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
If you end up using a snare stand, the LITTLE BOOTY SHAKERS product will let the tom sing. It's made by TNR
Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 9.40.17 AM.png
I've used them since 2013, and the tom does not choke.
Another recommendation is the Gibraltar 8713UA Ultra Adjust Flat Base snare stand.
Screen Shot 2019-07-19 at 9.42.54 AM.png
Very sturdy, light in the hardware bag, and will get the tom in the exact position you want and will stay there.

pmancuso

I just installed the rail on my bass drum (two batter side lugs, top center). I don't like how heavy the whole assembly is on the bass drum. The 8x12 tom and atlas assembly actually pulls the bass drum to the left slightly. It doesn't fall, but with a little extra effort, it has no problem wanting to fall leftward. Plus, the whole thing seems very heavy on the two lugs it attaches to.

I guess I am wondering if I am being too particular?... The way I ordered the drums provided that the tom mounted with an Atlas mount to a cymbal stand. I wasn't used to that setup but it totally isolates the bass and the tom, which I feel tends to allow both to resonate. But with the Atlas Arch Rail, I have my concerns especially how heavy it is. I am one of those picky drummers that wants the tom to nearly be at the same height as the snare head, maybe just a little higher. With the Atlas arch, it doesn't even want to place the tom exactly where I want it...

Should I give up on the Atlas Arch rail and put my regular lugs back on? Also... HAS ANYONE HAD ANY DEFECT ON DRUM SHELLS BECAUSE OF PROLONGED USE OF THE ATLAS ARCH AND THE ODD WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION?
Or you can add even more weight by putting another bracket and their classic telescoping cymbal holder on the other side for the retro look. Between that and the ride cymbal it won't lift up, I've done it.