Problem with tom lug.

Hey guys, not posted in a while. But the other day I noticed that one of my bolts kept falling out of my lugs and wouldn't tighten very much. Today, I stripped the drum apart to see what the problem was, I still see no problem. Apart from a problem with the bolt/lug.

I have attached a video. One lug tightens up fine, the other not very well. What may the problem be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYrXPxv9IIw

A

Anthony Amodeo

don't force it ...you will strip it

do the threads look off in any way in either male of female?

if not try that same rod in a different lug.....but again don't force it if it gets tight

also is it a lug that is under a tom bracket?

sometimes those act differently because of the bracket pulling the lug flute on an angle

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Looks as if you have a stripped receiver nut that needs replacing, or the threads on the tension rod got messed up part way down somehow. If there is a ganked spot, it'll bind up and stop. It happens.

At least it's an easy, cheap fix.

Looks as if you have a stripped receiver nut that needs replacing, or the threads on the tension rod got messed up part way down somehow. If there is a ganked spot, it'll bind up and stop. It happens.

At least it's an easy, cheap fix.
don't force it ...you will strip it

do the threads look off in any way in either male of female?

if not try that same rod in a different lug.....but again don't force it if it gets tight

also is it a lug that is under a tom bracket?

sometimes those act differently because of the bracket pulling the lug flute on an angle
Hi guys

I just fixed it by tunings/tightening the rest of the lugs. Then, doing that lug.
All is fine and everything is tight. Thanks alot anyways!

A

audiotech

Even though it might seem to be working at the moment, something is definitely wrong with either the tension rod or lug. I also wouldn't put the amount of torque on that rod using the type of drum key you are using as demonstrated tn the video. It seems that because of how loose the key fits the tension rod and how it's designed, it wants to flop to one side. If not grasped at the center of the key when starting the rod into the lug, this could be a very good way of getting the tension rod cross threaded into the lug, which is the way it looked to me in the video.

Dennis