Pro M or Catalina Maple !? Help.

louisdrums

Hey,

I'm stuck in a situation stickier than sticky the stick insect stuck on a really sticky bun. Sorry just had to say that!! I play funk, rock and a bit indie stuff. I want the kit to last long. I know that you get the hardware with the pro m which is also good. I have heard great comments on both kits. I deffo want a maple kit. I'll need hardware too btw any advice on that will also be taken into account!

If anyone could give me some advice and options on what to do, that would be great!

Cheers, Louis

Oh, and also.. what sizes would you recommend for my style of playing, Fusion or Rock?

Last edited:
Buy the Catalina Maple from Gretsch, and then get some great Gibraltar hardware.
Nothing beats that Great Gretsch Sound.

Go with the Gretsch Catalina maple its an AMAZING set sounds amazing right out of the box but i would recomend putting some remo clear emperors on the batter and ambasoders on the reso. and another great thing about this set is comes with an aquarian pre-muffled heads for the bass(there great) hope this helped! its also a solid maple set

Very Tough choice. But personally i would go with the Gretsch. I have just always found them to be amazing drums. Im thinking about selling my Pearl Session and getting a Catalina or possibly a Renown.

There was a time when I could be biased toward the Gretsch Cat maple. I owned one. True they are fabulous cost effective play 'em anywhere kits.. I am however now playing Mapex M birch and have played the pro M on a few occasions. From a build standpoint both the Cat maple and the Mapex are really nice. Value wise..go cats! Resale?? the cats don't retain much value or at least not as much as the Mapexs. Part of that is due to the heftier outlay on the pro M. If you plan to stick with drums, I would say go for the pro M.
It is a bit more "built for the long haul" and Mapex lifetime warrants their shells!
You really can't lose either way. The Gretschs are made in the Mapex facility in China.
** Oh yeah, mapex is offering a free 6x13" cherrywood/maple black panther aux snare with their kits and the hardware is fabulous!!!

Very Tough choice. But personally i would go with the Gretsch. I have just always found them to be amazing drums. Im thinking about selling my Pearl Session and getting a Catalina or possibly a Renown.
Renoun..or Pro M. The Cat maple may be a side or even backstep. IMO.

Hi D.W

I just sent the guys at newcastledrum.com a message asking if they stocked either kits and here what I got back..

Pro M - Either 20” fusion, 22” fusion or 22” Rock

4 piece 22, 12, 16, 14x7 snare all with free add on tom and hardware - RRP £1099. Our price - £849

Pro M Stomp Kit – 24”, 13, 16 and 18 floors and 14x6.5 snare and hardware – RRP £1199. Our price - £929

Some kits in stock at Mapex depending on what you want.

Catalina inc hardware – 22” fusion – £499. 20” fusion - £479.

All in stock at Gretsch.

Is this a good deal for either kits?

Lemme know what you guys think !

Cheers
Louis ;]

Hey

I have a Mapex Pro-M studio set. It's the real deal, man. Ive been told the Cats are more of a Jazz set; nontheless it's still great. But I think the Mapex is a small step higher.

There are so many configurations of these things, and theres still a few sets left, BUT NOT MANY (Musiciansfreind.com) Being that they replaced the Pro-M series with the Meridian series obviously means Pro-M's are not being made anymore. So it's kind of like first come-first serve.

Like I said, theres a lot of configurations, so check out Musiciansfreind and pick one! The fusion is $599.

So what ev

-MarkyMark

Back