Prices of drum rocketing?

eric_B

I notice here in Europe prices of drums are getting sky high.

An example: Ludwig Acrolite 14x6,5 was EUR 355 (USD 444) in April, now EUR 411 (USD 515. source thomann, usually pretty cheap). That's over 15% increase.

The rest of the world too?

BTW: The EUR has dropped against the USD by 6,5% since April so that shouldn't be the only reason.

eric_B

Yup, it's extremely unpleasant. I order most of my stuff from the US nowadays.
How about the added VAT, taxes, duties, etc? In Holland those are over 25%, so, taking into account the extra shipping costs and possible troubles with warranty, it usually isn't worth taking that route.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
There will always be a premium attached to imported goods. Almost every country operates importation protectionist policies, some more than others. Importation duty & local tax variables add to the picture. Currency fluctuation plays a big part too, but the main differentiations are shipping costs & distribution margins.

AJ3000

Silver Member
It does seem that the cost of very thing has gone up (not just drums) considerably. With the 2.5% increase on VAT in the UK, the price of oil going up (which affects shipping costs) and the general cost of living increase (which has a knock on with berthing from raw materials to labour rates) its easy to see how the prices can skyrocket. Buying domestically can help to a point, but sadly it's a bitter pill we all have to swallow.

As of drumming wasn't expensive enough.....

eric_B

I have noticed things from America are much more expensive here vs. things made in Europe.
To reverse it: why are the same products cheaper in the USA than in Europe?
Like that Ludwig Acrolite 14x6,5, it seems to cost USD 325 in the USA vs EUR 411 (USD 515) in Europe, that's almost 60% more expensive. Why? It's the same snare.

There will always be a premium attached to imported goods. Almost every country operates importation protectionist policies, some more than others. Importation duty & local tax variables add to the picture. Currency fluctuation plays a big part too, but the main differentiations are shipping costs & distribution margins.
And some countries are much more easy-going with imported goods than others. I think no parcel will pass Dutch customs without a thorough check and billing procedure and I know, for example, Greece customs don't.

Going back to my original posts: are prices in, for example, the USA also rising?

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
To reverse it: why are the same products cheaper in the USA than in Europe?
Like that Ludwig Acrolite 14x6,5, it seems to cost USD 325 in the USA vs EUR 411 (USD 515) in Europe, that's almost 60% more expensive. Why? It's the same snare.

And some countries are much more easy-going with imported goods than others. I think no parcel will pass Dutch customs without a thorough check and billing procedure and I know, for example, Greece customs don't.

Going back to my original posts: are prices in, for example, the USA also rising?
I have not lived in the states for a few years now. What I can tell you is that yes salaries in general are not matching the rate of inflation stateside. If you factor in how the economy was effected by the housing burst it was a double blow. When I left the Army my first job paid me the same wage I made when I was in High School.

Most anything these days is not made in America. Things that still are have with them a premium price normally. Part of that is the cost of doing business in America.

Cameo

Gold Member
How about the added VAT, taxes, duties, etc? In Holland those are over 25%, so, taking into account the extra shipping costs and possible troubles with warranty, it usually isn't worth taking that route.
I can tell that you've never seen the prices here in Sweden. We'd find your prices cheap.

...but you can always make an agreement with the shops overseas, that they send their shipments as gifts. USPS isn't that expensive, also.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The cost of fuel (at least in the US) had skyrocketed in the recent years.
Thus, the cost of transportation has gone way up.

So the cost of getting parts/raw materials to the manufacture, and the cost of getting the finished good from the manufacture to the retailer has gone up to cover those increases in fuel costs. Prices have adjusted accordingly.

But overall, buying an average full drum set now is still cheaper (relative to inflation) than it was 20 years ago due to increased competition and better technology in wood processing.

Cymbals, on the other hand, keep going up, because the cost of raw metal has gone way way up over the years, and cymbals are relatively heavy to ship.

uniin

Gold Member
things here in australia have ALWAYS been expensive. just recently (about 1year ago) zildjian, sabian and meinl dropped their prices a bit.

i mostly buy bosphorus because they tend to be the cheapest cymbals you can get here in aus at a retail shop for the best sound!

there is an import tax on goods over $1,000 i believe too, so i never buy too much from the states. i am keen however to still buy a few more snares from the states

jofizzm

I was just talking to a guy at my local shop about this. Just about everyone is raising prices. Ludwig had a pretty big jump, Yamaha have had like four smaller increases, gretsch had a good sized increase. It might have something to do with a lot of people buying more mid level kits than high end.

hampis

What i have noticed In Greece is that when i buy using USPS no customs involved.This happened when i ordered several things from the US , expensive snares, Roland modules etc.However when a courier company was involved especially DHL i paid customs, vat handling fees and other BS which raised the price to double.
My first conclusion was that the guys at the customs were simply not doing their job but on the other hand i noticed this happens only with USPS ! Not worth it to take the risk now however....I have checked some UK stores and have not seen a rise in the prices in UKP so i assume it is just the exchange rate drop.

eric_B

...I have checked some UK stores and have not seen a rise in the prices in UKP...
Hey Hamp, some UK prices are rising as well. Example: the Blaster snare went up from GBP 228 in February to GBP 259 now. Almost 14%...

dwdrummerky

I remember when I worked in music retail having to go through every piece of gear in the shop sometimes twice a year to change the price tags. It was not fun at all when there are over 1000 guitars hanging on the walls!
Right when the recession started on the states in 2008, the increases started to happen mush more frequently. Fender had so many increases that customers began to revolt so they actually rolled back the last increase.
Very depressing to watch people have less money, yet prices go up due to costs of raw materials and transport. I sold many MIM Strats just because the small increases put the much better American model out of their price range. Same goes for all cymbal makers.