And he don't even care for clothes
BRRM DADADUM

He cares for me
DA DA DA BRRRDADADADADA

My baby don't care For cars and races
DADADUM

My baby don't care for, he don't care for high-tone places
BRRRDADADADADA BRRRDADADADADA

It would work as a variety show satire :)

As things stand, my knees are so bad I play as little as possible on the floor anyway - so I'm more of a "handy" than "footy" drummer. Apart from the pain, I don't mind because I don't like a heavy bottom end (which is why I'm dieting haha). The occasional flurry in a fill is cool. First double kick I enjoyed was Michael Giles in ITCOTCK.

As for metal, I've not liked 99% of it for 30 years or so. With modern metal it strikes me that it's almost compulsory for the drummers to run 16ths with a 16ths-based riff. Of course most drummers play pretty standard things most of the time because accompaniment usually doesn't require earth-shattering innovation, but when the standard lines are as dominant as double-kick pedalling it makes the music sound very same-y to my ear.

But I will not wear the label of "single pedal snob". I'm more of a generic snob :)

Last edited:

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
OFF TOPIC:

Made a major breakthrough, by just throwing myself up against the guitarist, honestly folks it's like learning to walk, fan-tastic

azrae1l

Silver Member
i'm not exactly sure what the big deal is using single or double or triple or quadruple. use whatever it takes to get the job done with as little effort as possible and as comfortably as possible.

i see a lot of talk about death metal requiring double bass and blasting, nope! i play in a death metal band, we don't use double bass all that much and don't blast at all. frankly i think blast beats are only to show off how fast you can hit the same thing over and over and shows a lack of imagination. i remember a thread on here about blast beats and how so & so is so bad ass, i looked up a video of him on youtube (cuz i didn't recognize the name) 3 songs i watched him play and it was the same thing over and over, blast blast blast roll blast blast blast roll rinse and repeat, each song the same thing. thats good? it abuses me in the ear!

i have a double and i use it maybe 30% of the time and it's mostly a) i suck and need both feet to do what most people do with 1 and b) some times a part sounds really good with a quick double bass part then back to normal. i also own singles and for the most part the vast majority of my playing and practice is all done with a single pedal even if the double is hooked up.

if you use a double pedal to play 16th's cool, if you can comfortably do it with 1 foot, cool. if you have to break out the quintuple beater duallist, cool. your the one playing, you decide what works best for you and then use it... nuff said.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
i have a double and i use it maybe 30% of the time and it's mostly a) i suck and need both feet to do what most people do with 1 and b) some times a part sounds really good with a quick double bass part then back to normal. i also own singles and for the most part the vast majority of my playing and practice is all done with a single pedal even if the double is hooked up.
Whoo!! Good answer from an actual metal guy. I'm just fascinated by the idea of playing extreme metal with a single pedal. With a bit of practice one can pull off flams and triplets with the right foot.

JT1

Silver Member
Well, I don't know if it's just a subjective thing from the person saying it, more importantly, it could be the people you're working with don't want it at all. I've been in on production meetings where it was discussed the type of gear the employer wanted to see up on stage, and what he wanted to hear the talent play. Sometimes it surprises me when I look up on stage and see what appears to be a free-form party going on, only to realize there isn't anything up there that wasn't discussed beforehand.

It is refreshing to hear things you don't normally hear in a song, but man, when there's semi-big money involved, it's surprising to see how fast the 'free range artists' become the 'arbiters of the employers' vision'.

Whether or not this a good example of "should you or shouldn't you have a double pedal with you on stage", would be up to you. But using it where no one expects it and to express your artistic freedom with it would be another issue altogether, wouldn't it?
Oh yeah of course if you are happy to settle as a band through discussion that is a different story. I've only been in one band that didn't want me to use double pedal so I didn't. Needless to say the music was catchy and the audience loved singing along but the drumming was minimal and I mean minimum and I quit after a few month because I couldn't put any creative beats to the songs. The bands I'm in now let me do pretty much whatever I want and they are the bands I love but I know when to use it and when not to, that is important.

As for discussing what type of gear they want to see on stage, that to me sounds utterly ridiculous lol they shouldn't be dictating to a band what they need, the band knows what they need (gear wise) wow some people here have played some strange gigs and it all seems that they are outside of the UK too, weird.

JT1

Silver Member
Baby, my baby don't care for shows
BRRM DADADUM

And he don't even care for clothes
BRRM DADADUM

He cares for me
DA DA DA BRRRDADADADADA

My baby don't care For cars and races
DADADUM

My baby don't care for, he don't care for high-tone places
BRRRDADADADADA BRRRDADADADADA

It would work as a variety show satire :)

As things stand, my knees are so bad I play as little as possible on the floor anyway - so I'm more of a "handy" than "footy" drummer. Apart from the pain, I don't mind because I don't like a heavy bottom end (which is why I'm dieting haha). The occasional flurry in a fill is cool. First double kick I enjoyed was Michael Giles in ITCOTCK.

As for metal, I've not liked 99% of it for 30 years or so. With modern metal it strikes me that it's almost compulsory for the drummers to run 16ths with a 16ths-based riff. Of course most drummers play pretty standard things most of the time because accompaniment usually doesn't require earth-shattering innovation, but when the standard lines are as dominant as double-kick pedalling it makes the music sound very same-y to my ear.

But I will not wear the label of "single pedal snob". I'm more of a generic snob :)
Totally understand Poll, not trying to say anything is wrong or right at all. I recently quit my metal band because it wasn't fulfilling me musically. I love metal music but playing it is another thing. Double bass loses its effectiveness cause it is cliched in most metal bands and there isn't much room for groove so I quit to concentrate on my other bands (one primarily).

Totally respect, you are a minimal drummer.

Ok my bands are heavier than blues, point made =)

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Totally understand Poll, not trying to say anything is wrong or right at all. I recently quit my metal band because it wasn't fulfilling me musically. I love metal music but playing it is another thing. Double bass loses its effectiveness cause it is cliched in most metal bands and there isn't much room for groove so I quit to concentrate on my other bands (one primarily).

Totally respect, you are a minimal drummer.

Ok my bands are heavier than blues, point made =)
Cheers JT, I won't labour the point any more (pity, I was enjoying that ...)

With that metal band that you left, would the guys have complained if you decided not to play the 16ths as much and just saved them for buildups and climaxes?

It should be said that I'm enough of a snob not to wear the "minimal drummer" tag :)

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
As for discussing what type of gear they want to see on stage, that to me sounds utterly ridiculous lol they shouldn't be dictating to a band what they need, the band knows what they need (gear wise) wow some people here have played some strange gigs and it all seems that they are outside of the UK too, weird.
You see alot of that when you work for Disney. We supply everything, everybody's on the company payroll. Like I said, "semi-big money" is involved, so people do what they can do to get along. It's like watching tv - everything is built from the ground up because so much money is riding on the presentation.

But yeah, probably 90% of the rest of the world doesn't do this. That 90% is basically watching and being influenced by the other 10% that have access to tv and the airwaves.