Premier Genista

gaddgod

Hello everyone !

Some music store offers me a good deal on a Premier Genista Maple at around 600$ US for 3-pîece kit 12-16-22. I don't know if those are England or Asian made. Noting is written on the badge. Still, it is I think a good deal for a high end maple kit : nice hardware, thin shells and Remo USA stock heads. The kit is new but the store had it for years.

Any thoughts ? Can one go wrong with this kit ?

Thanks !
F.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
For whatever reason, Premier drums just don't sell around here too much. I swear a crummy Pearl kit would sell before a set of Genistas. A friend of mine has owned a few Genistas, and he said that while they sound ok, they are ridiculously hard to sell. The only Premier drums that I would be interested in would be the Signia series, but that's just me.

All in all, if you get them be sure you get them because YOU like them. Reselling them may be a little difficult.

gaddgod

Agreed. Same here in Canada. I think they are very fine drums, but not a brand that people are looking for.

Thanks for your reply !

benthedrum

I played a 90s era Premier Genista for many years.

They were very popular in Australia during that time.

A beautiful sounding kit.

But apparently there was some in-house turmoil and their distribution slowly disappeared from our shores.

The Signia series is a breathtaking, astonishing work of art, but rare here.

The oversized lugs for the bass drum on the 90s Genista are as rare as a smile from my ex mother in law.

I regret selling my Genistas'.

gaddgod

I played a 90s era Premier Genista for many years.

They were very popular in Australia during that time.

A beautiful sounding kit.

But apparently there was some in-house turmoil and their distribution slowly disappeared from our shores.

The Signia series is a breathtaking, astonishing work of art, but rare here.

The oversized lugs for the bass drum on the 90s Genista are as rare as a smile from my ex mother in law.

I regret selling my Genistas'.

Do you remember if they were birch or maple shells ? I believe the originals were birch. Just wondering if the maple kit I'm looking for would be any good.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I played a set of maple Genistas that were part of the back line stuff way back in 2011. I was able to tune them to my liking.

Suffice it to say that out of all the backline kits I've ever played, the Genista's are the only one I fondly remember.

I really enjoyed them.

benthedrum

Do you remember if they were birch or maple shells ? I believe the originals were birch. Just wondering if the maple kit I'm looking for would be any good.
I remember them clearly......100% Birch.

I don't like Maple, it's boring...... everything is maple, maple maple.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
The original Genista (90’s) was Birch. Beautiful sounding kit. The Signia was Maple with beech rings.
If this a Maple Genista, this would be the 2010’s series, I don’t know them.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
If badge doesn't say Made in England then they're not.

$600 for a new Made in England Genista is a good deal. If Asian then they're nothing special.

Genesta shells are heavy. Genesta drums are loud. Best for heavy rock metal etc.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Without going into lots of detail and still getting it wrong, possibly the quickest way to tell if they’re UK or Asian made is the bass drum lugs. The Asian re releases used the same hemispherical lugs on the Toms and bass drum. The original UK models had larger lugs on the bass drum in keeping with the drums bigger dimensions.
Going back on my earlier comment, if they’re lacquered in a green or aquamarine colour they’ll probably be originals too, but I’ve learned over the years that other colours though less commonplace were produced and even the “failsafe” Tom block method doesn’t always work because some came with RIMS style mounts iirc.
Edit - if the drum badge is a metal plinth badge it’s probably UK. If it’s more plastic looking or has the word Genista written on it it’s Asian made. And I’m pretty sure (& happy to be proven wrong) that the reissue didn’t come in those sizes unless one drum is missing.