Preamp / EQ / Compressor unit or pedal for drum

dpgreek

Hello all,

I use a tupan drum. I mic the treble side with either a wireless audio technica 350 or an audix micro d. I typically use the mixer for eq and if digital, a compressor.

I would really like to get some suggestions on a good Eq/ comp in one like thejoe meek I can use for consistent sound no matter the board.

When I use the wireless AT, I assume that I can run a line out of the receiver box into said pedal and then go XLR out of that into the mixer. The micro D however, I use the included phantom power module which takes a dirct xlr cable into it. Can I connect an XLR from Audix module into said unit and not run into issues?

View attachment 87256

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I don’t know which Joe Meek unit you are referring to, but I have see preamp pedals designed for acoustic guitars or singers which have a phantom power xlr input, with a compressor and eq built in. There are also rack mount units designed as vocal preamps with the features you want. But I don’t know the specific models offhand.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So you're basically looking for one of those channel strip things. I think ART makes one that's an PreAmp, Compressor, and EQ, as does PreSonus (I think). dbx is also good at these, as well as a lot of high-end audio companies like API. The problem with these is that when you've gotten high enough, you've basically bought yourself a console that has at least 16 of these built in. What's the budget?

dpgreek

Budget is like 150ish. I understand that some consoles cover these options... but Id rather have a consistent set up each time versus showing up and not having the equipment I can do the job with or requested.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Budget is like 150ish. I understand that some consoles cover these options... but Id rather have a consistent set up each time versus showing up and not having the equipment I can do the job with or requested.
Well, none of the cheap stuff I mentioned can be had for $150. You gotta come up some. Maybe $300.