Pratice Pad

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I have 6,8,10,14 inch pads. Larger pads are nice because they can fit right in a snare stand. Smaller pads are nice because they are portable.

In reality you should be hitting in the middle of the drums unless you are intentionally going for a specific sound near the edge.

I actualy think a 4 inch pad would make you much more accurate. If you are missing the pad you need to work on accuracy. I don't think other than the fact it fits in the basket there are any benefits to a bigger pad.

My blue logix pad is large and has a rubber rim. So maybe if you wanted to work on rim shots that is another plus.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Not unless it's bothering you.

When all is said and done, physically there's nothing that you can do on a 12" pad that can't be done on an 8".

That said, I do have a 6" pad that bounces around like crazy when I put it on my knee....or even on a bench top. In circumstances like that, then sure, a larger pad will offer more stability.

But from a purely mechanical standpoint, what you're playing is far more important that what you're playing it on. If your 8" is doing what you require, there's no need to change it.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I like a bigger pad, a heavier one too, as it'll stay in place on a snare stand.

I've tried some smaller pads that were ok as they came with an appropriate stand.

I'm not much into pads these days, but again I don't always have a choice. The main on that I feel doesn't mess with my technique is the Xymox laminate type of pad. The traditional Remo pads are great, but they're just soooo loud. Might just as well play a drum as that one.

Choice of pad does to a certain extent depend on you and the type you want to practice.

thebarak

86905I love the Vic Firth Heavy-Hitter StockPad. It does not describe how hard I hit, because I am not a heavy hitter. I don't really know if it is the best pad to practice on, but it feels and sounds so nice it makes me want to practice.