practicing on surface with huge rebound (gum pad) good or bad?

Phat_Rolls

I try to do most of my practicing on the kit but at night when the wife falls asleep I can only practice on my pad. I have a gum pad that has loads of rebound, much more then my snare has. Would you say it's good to practice on this type of surface?

Usually i'll throw a few folded pillow cases on top to kill some of the rebound but is there much of a benefit to playing on surfaces that have tons of rebound? I suppose it will help reflexes - what are your thoughts?

aydee

Platinum Member
I try to do most of my practicing on the kit but at night when the wife falls asleep I can only practice on my pad.
Do you have any idea how dirty that sounds ?!!!

Seriously......, you're probably right about the reflexes.To expand on Jojo Mayer's thinking, all playing is about releasing and regaining the stick, so extra bounce might help there..

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think highly reboundable surfaces are preferable to the opposite. This way the bounce muscles can work on controlling the stick.

Chazz

Hey,

I'm not going to say if it's good or bad, however I somewhat disagree
if your pad has a "huge rebound" more than normal
how's it a good thing?
This means what ever you Time yourself with a Metronome will
be faster than a less rebounded surface pad.
Myabe try a TRU-Bounce practice Pad by Acquarian..

my 0.02 cents

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
It's good to practice on a gum rubber pad when you're first learning drums because it makes it easier to get a feel for the rebound, when to release the stick, how to relax, and so on. Once you understand and have a healthy control of this process, I would recommend also getting another pad with less rebound to simulate the drums more (that is, if your first pad didn't have a secondary surface for this). Keep both pads, as you can learn a lot from all surfaces that you drum on...

By the way, if you're looking for a secondary pad, you should seriously check out Off World Percussion's "Invader" pad. This thing revolutionizes pad practice. I have one and I think it's the best!