practicing my footing without a bass pedal

Lickety Britches

my band's practice spot is a little over an hour away. so i leave my kit there, but what would you guys recommend i do about practicing my kick technique when i dont have a pedal?

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Do exercises/patterns with your heel planted on the floor.
Do repetition. One slow, one faster, one slow, etc...

Gets your muscle memory going and strengthens you ankle.
Do it as slow as you need to do it cleanly. Fast will come after the muscle memory takes over.

You can do this in your car with the other foot as well.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I've been thinking about this a lot recently...in fact, this question has been occupying me for much of the last year...and I reckon you can actually do a lot by playing heel up on the floor as if you had a pedal there. I was doing this when I noticed your post, as it happens!

Lickety Britches

yeah i figured but its a completely different feel than a pedal. but that hasenfutz thing looks pretty interesting. ive seen it before but 50$ for one? id hate to spend 100$ on that : / i know that seems cheap, "100$ is a small price to pay for perfecting your craft" but i am a single student haha so i am on a bit of a budget

hauk

Silver Member
Why don't you bring your pedal home with you? Just because you keep your kit at the practice space doesn't mean the whole kit has to stay there - a pedal is easy to bring back and forth.

There are some mods to pedals that have been discussed here in the past that allow for fairly realistic practicing without a drum.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
There's a quirky pair of posts :) What's the story, Ben?
When I posted the first one I had been doing as much absent-minded heel-up foot practice (i.e. a continuous bouncing sort of leg action) as I could. I added the second one because since then I've also been working on my ankle strength in the same way that I've done with my wrists, and have also noticed an improvement there. I think of new things to do every day with foot technique, it truly is a confusing semi-unconscious world compared to hand technique. I wonder why.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
When I posted the first one I had been doing as much absent-minded heel-up foot practice (i.e. a continuous bouncing sort of leg action) as I could. I added the second one because since then I've also been working on my ankle strength in the same way that I've done with my wrists, and have also noticed an improvement there. I think of new things to do every day with foot technique, it truly is a confusing semi-unconscious world compared to hand technique. I wonder why.
So it's like a progress report.

You're a leg jiggler, eh? http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=514289 ... a guy on this page talks about how his leg jiggling helped when he took up drums.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I've been trying to do it more with my left leg recently! Bit like the period I spent trying to do everything with my left hand, eating, cleaning teeth, the whole lot. I even managed to eat with chopsticks with my left hand.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I've done some "lefting" too, just for the sake of general balance as much as anything ... from playing ping pong and tennis to throwing and kicking balls for the dog to fetch. Hate to have someone videoing me when kicking with my left leg.

Cleaning teeth is a tough one. It reminds me of what it was like to be very young and just starting the journey towards coordination.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I bought a realfeel bass pad and it was terrible. The foam pad doesn't last more than about a week, and you can't buy replacements. The Gibraltar one is much, much better.

GuiGeek

Walk! And I'm serious ;)

Your question made me think of a Dave Lombardo's clinic where he says he walks a lot to get his double pedal madness going!

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR0x0DXUD6s&feature=related

Question is at 4:20.

Everyone should watch bits of this clinic, Dave is just an awesome guy and a great drummer! The interaction between Dave and the crowd is just great and whole thing is a joy to watch.