Practicing in the dark?

Daveyj88

It may sound weird, but I seem to find myself being a little more creative while practicing in the dark. I've noticed my muscle memory take a great leap forward. I might use a candle or something to light my music stand (and sometimes my actual music :\ )

Anyone else ever tried this?

Nodiggie

Gold Member
Interesting, never have. However, we did attend a Battle a year or so ago. We took the stage and almost got through our second song and took out the Citys power supply for the block! It was funny. 2nd place. Guess they didn't like Metal too much. lol

Numberless

Platinum Member
I actually don't find it that strange, at college the drum cabins have ON/OFF switches and it's not unusual to see people practicing without lights on. I've done it a couple of times, I tend to feel more relaxed and easy going.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Funny you should mention it. I'm not sure I've seen it discussed on this forum before, but one of my old original bands used to turn every light out in the rehearsal studio and play our set in complete darkness. I felt it helped add to the "feel" of what we were doing immeasurably. In a live situation, I'd much prefer those little visual cues that bands tend to use towards one another. But there's no doubting the inability to see often enhanced our ability to "feel" and "listen" to each other on a broader scale too.

In short, every now and again I think it's a great idea to play around with.

Youan

I am intrigued by this. I'm not certain how much I rely on sight - playing with eyes closed is probably very different because you are focussing on that while you play - in the dark there is nothing else to focus on. I have the suspicion that this practice has the potential to improve one's playing more. Although I suppose technique (hand and body position) would need to be confirmed in the light first. I'll try it out.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Playing in the dark at rehearsal is good fun. Practising in dim light is a nice tradeoff - you can still function between songs and it's a useful preparation for the darkness of stages in bars.

MLdrum

I played in a band a few years back, where we sometimes would practice with a partially broken strobe light on going mental. I think we actually called it our cozy-light! :p

But, yes. I think it feels better when I practice without too much light. It can in fact become a bit uncomfortable if there's too much constant floodlighting spamming me =)

Mark_S

Silver Member
Probably a good idea to practise this anyway - at a gig recently all the stage lights were way out in front and pointed at the stage, so it was very dark for me. When I went to do some fast fills around the toms during the first song while my eyes were adjusting, I couldn't see the clear drum heads or much else, so it was like my hands were flying around and sound was coming out, but I couldn't actually see it happening... it was a very strange and disconcerting experience!

I'd been looking for a reason to try some coated white heads again..

LeftoverPenguin

In some of the florescent light fixtures in my basement I wired half of them with black light tubes. One switch gives us regular, white light, the other gives us black light. Over where I'm at I don't get as much of the black light, so it's almost like playing in the dark. The experience is different! We do that pretty often during practice after we're done working through stuff and just running through songs we already know.

This is probably the goal of all those drummers who let their hair grow down over their face, to not see anything and have the ability to "play in the dark" during any situation. ;)

toddy

Platinum Member
i used to play with my eyes closed for years, but petrillo told me not to, so i don't.