practice equipment?%"

vinneyboy

Hi drummers,

I want to buy sorts of wristband that has a significant weight like I saw in a drummer video. I dunno if you know what i'm talking about.. So I was wondering which weight I should take for this to be really effective and not too heavy. I want to buy some for my ankles too, do you think I should take the same weight or heavier ones?

Vinney

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Weight training? Big no-no. Talk to Wy Yung about this one...

720hours World Record

Hi drummers,

I want to buy sorts of wristband that has a significant weight like I saw in a drummer video. I dunno if you know what i'm talking about.. So I was wondering which weight I should take for this to be really effective and not too heavy. I want to buy some for my ankles too, do you think I should take the same weight or heavier ones?

Vinney
Don't do it, I have tried that years ago - it did not go well - you will ruin your joints and tendons. If you want more of a challenge get a heavier/longer stick.

yesdog

Silver Member
Drumming is not a sport and there are no short cuts. Take lessons and work on proper technique. Drums are a musical instrument and takes lots of time and devotion. Lifes to short, don't ruin your body by trying silly things.

ahector

Agree. Drumming does not require that much strength, despite what some drummers' big exaggerated arm movements may lead you to believe.

Even if you want to play loud, fast, or with showy arm whips, drumming is about finesse. Weights won't do anything for you.

veggo32

Silver Member
For your hands i would recommend just getting heavier drum sticks. Get a pair of 2b's and off you go.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Drum sticks weigh ounces. How strong do you have to be? Ankle weights have a tendency to injure achilles tendons. Don't do it. Practice with the sticks you plan on using until they feel like feathers and you'll be fine. Just Say No To Gimmicks.

Big Foot

Silver Member
The only strength training I would recommend would be; improving your core strength.

This will give you better posture w/more endurance and support for your 4 limbs.

Pimento

Havign worked as a welder for most of my life, i had rather large arm muscles and leg muscles lol, i found that once i got to drumming more steadily, i lost a lot of that muscle mass and its way easier to play now that im not throwing around 30 lbs on each limb haha.