Possibility of being an excellent drummer when I'm horrible at the guitar and mediocre at the piano

Keyboarg

????

I'm looking for the possibility of being a natural drummer after failing at guitar and keyboard.

so?

MaryO

Platinum Member
Re: Possibility of being an excellent drummer when I'm horrible at the guitar and mediorcre at the p

Hard to say but I took keyboard (organ) lessons for several years as a kid and while I learned to read music, I was never very good at playing. Fast forward 30 odd years and I'm playing drums. While I'm not excellent by any means, I'm doing okay and from what I've been told have a pretty good sense of timing. Difference may be that I was made to play the organ by my mother and drumming is something I wanted to do for me so I try harder. If you really love it and are willing to work at it...you'll probably do alright.

Good luck!

topgun2021

Gold Member
Re: Possibility of being an excellent drummer when I'm horrible at the guitar and mediorcre at the p

Well you are already 0/2 so being 0/3 isn't that far of a stretch.

You won't know unless you try though.

Arky

Platinum Member

There's unlimited degrees of "failing", "making it" and being a "natural" instrumentalist. "Failing" - do you mean you tried a few times, it didn't work and you gave up?

It takes quite some time to learn something. Being "natural" at something doesn't mean everything related will happen effortlessly. There will always be some work involved. I think almost everybody can learn almost everything. You might readjust your mindset. Just decide what you want and then get going, work towards it. Also, the further you progress the higher your own demand will grow so don't even expect that in 3 years or so you'll be super glad with what you'll do by then. As your horizon broadens and your skills grow so will the standard you're putting onto yourself. I'm deducting from myself...

So whatever instrument/activity - it takes a certain amount of work to get into it and get some first tangible results. If you don't break that initial barrier it won't happen. Especially with drums - break your learning process up in digestible small pieces, one bite at a time. That's the fastest progress.

groove1

Silver Member

What do yo mean by being mediocre at the guitar and piano? How long have you practiced
playing them and what style do you play? Learning to play an instrument is a long drawn out
process that takes your entire life because there is never "getting there". You can always get better no matter what level you play at. It's like you can always add "1" to any number to get a larger number.

Are your expectations realistic for the time you are putting in?

It's possible that music isn't for you but I don't know that. I play music on several instruments
but have next to no talent in drawing and painting for example.

To answer your question: The possibility of anything exists, right?

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member

That depends how much you practice.

Otto

Platinum Member

Without trying you will never know.

I humbly suggest that the efforts you put into guitar and piano are not lost...and if you have sucess with drums it will be due to the sum total of your experiences...not easily dismissed as a natural predilection.

(sorry for devolving into a nature vrs nurture statement...but its hard to avoid at times)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member

Most anyone who's motivated and willing to put in the work can achieve anything.