Portnoy and the Winery Dogs

Croc

I don't follow this band. I am not a fan of any of the bands these guys have been in. I don't have any ill will towards any of them. They are just not my cup of tea.

That said, groups are in a pretty tough spot these days. I don't think there are many groups that can rely solely on recording or composing / publishing royalties to eke out a living. Most will need to tour. IMO, this is evidenced by a lot of groups on the road that I thought I would never see perform live again.

Additional revenue can be generated by selling special meet and greet tickets allowing the holder to attend a session before / after the shows to rub elbows with the group members, have photos taken, obtain autographs, and purchase merch.

I've attended some of these where the musicians were clearly uncomfortable with the process. This could be for any number of reasons. Perhap some are introverts, some feel the process is "selling out", some might just need some alone / quiet time after leaving everything on the stage during the performance.

I don't believe my regular concert ticket entitles me to anything other than the performance. However, if I pay more for a meet and greet opportunity, I'd hope the musicians would be reasonably pleasant and open to the process.

At the risk of speaking for the WD, maybe they just don't want to be bothered and that is fine as long as they realize they ae passing up opportunities to make a little more money and perhaps engage some new fans.

T

The Old Hyde

one thing maybe overlooked is that to have a meet and greet, you need the space for it and its not the bands dressing room but another green room. a 200 people venue cant provide that so while the message was delivered in a rude tone, it may have come from the band on this occasion due to space.

NerfLad

Silver Member
The Winery Dogs played here last weekend; I'm well acquainted with the monitor engineer and stage manager of the venue. Now these guys are pretty jaded and salty, but they remain quite professional and would never do anything to tick off an artist.

According to them the band, specifically Portnoy, were insufferable prima donnas who got in their faces and dissed them and the small (700 capacity) venue (which they couldn't even sell out).