Pop Drummers

SoulRockKA

Hi everyone.

This is the first time that I'm posting on this forum so I don't know whether
it's appropriate to post here.

I just wanted to know who you guys think represent some of the hottest,
greatest Pop/Rock drummers these days, backing up some of the
most popular singers/bands. Drummers who not only play great drums but
also know how to have great stage manners and performance techniques.

I'm working on a project that requires much information on those drummers
but do not know much.

Thank you.

SoulRockka.

R

Royal

Karl Brazil does a fair job & gets a lot of work.

Now with Robbie Williams & also Feeder.
Last year toured with James blunt.
Also worked with Leona Lewis, Nataile Imbruglia & more.......all pop.
Goggle him.

Last edited:

dairyairman

Platinum Member
some of these young drummers who started out with gospel drumming are pretty incredible as pop drummers, backing up the big r&b and hip hop stars of today. i'm talking about drummers like teddy campbell and aaron spears. i think they're the best drummers in top 40 pop music today.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Check out Eduardo Torres of Greg Camp's band. I had the good fortune to play with this young man in a corporate band for a couple of years. Combination of Gospel and regional Mexican band background, but studied fusion and all the Vinnie stuff. We found him though Milous Johnson. In the words of Ron E. Beck (at a GC drumoff) "Y'all got pocket". And this after Eduardo was doing clave with his left foot on a cowbell while doing all kinds of triplet and compound time things over the rest of the kit. You could have isolated the cowbell as used it as a click track to drive a latin band.

Total pro too. Did the homework and completely nailed songs on the first take. He'd often be the first one to have cleared the bandstand, and would then start in on the PA before most folks had gotten their cords put away.

He'll be up there with Campbell and Spears as the word gets out.

last man to bat

Check out Mark Schulman, Pink's current drummer.

Like Aeolian said about Eduardo Torres, Mark has a very professional outlook and works for the band.

He often does clinics, which is where I found out about him, it was one of the most informative clinics I have attended. He talked about the music business and how he saw his place within it, how he got the work and his approach to working with already well established artists. He was incredibly open and really enthusiastic.

Rascul

Steve Jordan!

Tasteful playing and good showmanship in one, and distinguishable from many others.

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
There are definitely cycles of popularity and at any given time, certain session guys are the flavor of the day. I am unclear what the project you are doing involves but some of the hottest guys around right now - as session for hire guys, for recording and for touring are: Brian Frasier Moore, Teddy Campbell, Keith Carlock, Ronald Bruner Jr., John Blackwell and Billy Ward and Aaron Comess are always in demand. Of course, folks like Vinnie, JR, Curt Bisquera, Josh Freese and Abe Laboriel also stay very busy. There aare many more, often based on region: For example, in New York guys like Chris Parker, Anton Fig, Joel Rosenblatt and others are constantly playing around.

Hope this helps

Paul

dairyairman

Platinum Member
another great contemporary pop drummer is tony royster jr. he backs up jay-z, who as you know is one of the most popular artists today.

RollingStone000

Silver Member
I'd like to add (drummer wise) Ahmir ?usetlove Thompson. Great hip hop drummer but ever since The Roots became the house band for Fallon, they've been backing up a lot of the artists that perform on the show. Those cats grind away at that music, so much in fact that they were supposed to drop an album back in October, and the damn thing still isn't out yet.

Jon Farris from INXS (In Excess).

Hi everyone.

This is the first time that I'm posting on this forum so I don't know whether
it's appropriate to post here.

I just wanted to know who you guys think represent some of the hottest,
greatest Pop/Rock drummers these days, backing up some of the
most popular singers/bands. Drummers who not only play great drums but
also know how to have great stage manners and performance techniques.

I'm working on a project that requires much information on those drummers
but do not know much.

Thank you.

SoulRockka.