Pollyanna’s 10 000 posts award retrospective…

groove1

Silver Member
I left my morning gig and went to a wifi spot and booted up the laptop to arrive here....
I'm new on these threads but I do feel better all over....ah!

Anon La Ply

Renegade
A sombre thought Grea. You may be correct, but I sure hope not.

So much communication in any species is body language or tone, and that can be lost or at least misconstrued via the net.

Can you imagine having a beer with buddies over Skype? How sad.
I imagine our grandparents looked at modern life and felt it was sad but we just thought it was normal. As it is with each generation. Even if we one day become completely synthetic, I imagine the subjective experience of being will be more or less the same.

That was actually dramatic, surprisingly so. True drama, here on DW, and with a happy ending. Real life unfolding. I'm impressed.
Some would say my timing was pretty quirky - like waiting for a year or whatnot. I was going to stay with 9,999 but the irony got old :)

Whether it's you buying me a pint at the bar, or charging a glass via Skype......as long as the common denominator is beer, I'm up for it.
http://www.aa.org.au :)

How tall are you Grea? :)

... mmmh, someone said that size doesn't matter.
174cms at last count. Size matters when you try to reach things in high cupboards and when you're walking in the streets at night ...

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Mods - can you blend Anon's & Pol's post count together? Show that Gretsch hugging guy a thing or two! - ah, wait - bugger :( ;)
Well Grunt is a mod :)

But even if you merge Polly and Anon post counts together (13 377), I'm afraid Grea's still a little short to reach John status here on DW.

How tall are you Grea? :)

... mmmh, someone said that size doesn't matter.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
This is the future, where increasing amounts of human interactions will be via electronic media, one day perhaps the vast majority of our conversations will be remote. In 150 years time the most fortunate survivors of The Big Population Correction could be making millions of posts in electronic talk places with their computer integrated brains. Virtual reality may well be preferable (with brain probes, invoking a constant sense of clarity, groundedness and sense of wellbeing) to the mess going on outside. It might even be preferable to anything we've experienced ...
There's some advantages with virtual reality and electronic media postings as opposed to meet and chat for real!!!

- no bad breath involved
- you don't have to be decent to chat
- you can pull faces at the one(s) you're chatting to
- no one cares if you're pretty or ugly
- there's no difficult language accent to understand
- it's cheaper to chat to someone living in the UK from Australia than meeting them
- you can dress yourself how you like (or be totally undressed)
- you can virtualy be intelligent (thanks Wikipedia)
- you can take your time to answer somedy and think what you're going to say
- you don't need to wash at all

...and many more advantages, I'm sure, but for now, I'm looking forward to meet you in person at the LDS Grea :)

keepitgreen

Hell my friend, I'll use any excuse to have a beer. Whether it's you buying me a pint at the bar, or charging a glass via Skype......as long as the common denominator is beer, I'm up for it.
Amen to that... My fantasy football league has been together for 15+ years now, and every year the guys get together at someone's house for draft day: BBQ, backyard football, fantasy draft, and copious amounts of beer. I've been overseas for 10 years now, but every year, I log in with Skype, and join in the fun. The past couple of years they've even taken to carrying around an iPad with me on the screen so I can be part of all the fun. Although it's not the same, it's a close second. And you can be sure I'm consuming at least as much or more beer as they are....

Thread hi-jack over, carry on.....

con struct

Platinum Member
That was actually dramatic, surprisingly so. True drama, here on DW, and with a happy ending. Real life unfolding. I'm impressed.

Well done, Grea.

opentune

Platinum Member
This is the future, where increasing amounts of human interactions will be via electronic media, one day perhaps the vast majority of our conversations will be remote.
A sombre thought Grea. You may be correct, but I sure hope not.
So much communication in any species is body language or tone, and that can be lost or at least misconstrued via the net.

Can you imagine having a beer with buddies over Skype? How sad.

Congrats on 10K.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
On Planet 10k ...

Henri is relieved, Mike's teary, Bon experienced closure, David felt the earth move, Duncan's day felt easier, Larry fell into a psychedelic reverie, Abe was overcome with nostalgia, Steve pondered the inadequacy of his post count, Andy's mind wandered towards butt straps, Al got romantic, Ian no longer feels thwarted.

This is the future, where increasing amounts of human interactions will be via electronic media, one day perhaps the vast majority of our conversations will be remote. In 150 years time the most fortunate survivors of The Big Population Correction could be making millions of posts in electronic talk places with their computer integrated brains. Virtual reality may well be preferable (with brain probes, invoking a constant sense of clarity, groundedness and sense of wellbeing) to the mess going on outside. It might even be preferable to anything we've experienced ...

And did someone say they wanted more chat about destiny and the impossibility of free will?? :)

Thanks guys for putting me on to Buckaroo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WWYkIeLpRM ... reminds me of Flying High. Or maybe that should be the other way around.

Arky

Platinum Member
True that.But my Favorites 50's originals are "Earth vs.The Flying Saucers",Forbidden Planet","Them","The Thing","War of the Worlds","It Came From Beneath The Sea","Kronos"...and last but not least ,the original "The Day The Earth Stood Still",which in my opinion,is way better than the remake
Steve, I've seen all of them (although some just 1-2 years ago) and like them. The worst of them are still ok and some are real gems I think (Forbidden Planet).

Just watched Buckaroo again - your post reminded me of that movie and I was curious (or dumb?) enough to check it out again (found a full version on YouTube). Surprisingly, the first 30 minutes were much better than I thought. It was less painful/boring to watch than the previous time but towards the end there just wasn't anything resembling a showdown, no suspense, just nonsense. -- Sorry for the thread hijack.

"Planet 10", now that's lame. Creating a tradition to that "Plan B" classic? Very creative, haha.

- - - -

Polly, congrats on actually hitting 10.000!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
True that.But my Favorites 50's originals are "Earth vs.The Flying Saucers",Forbidden Planet","Them","The Thing","War of the Worlds","It Came From Beneath The Sea","Kronos"...and last but not least ,the original "The Day The Earth Stood Still",which in my opinion,is way better than the remake

" Gort....Klattu ,Barada Nicto"I waited the whole movie for him to say that...what a dissapointment.

I have all of them on DVD,and it was great the first time I watched them ...without commercials.

Little know fact,:James Arness who played Marshall Matt Dillon in "Gunsmoke",played the monster in "The Thing."

Steve B

Arky

Platinum Member
The title of the flick was " The Adventures of Buckeroo Bonzi,Across The Eight Dimention"
*Buckaroo Banzai*...
But I agree... that one was really lousy. I had quite some expectations from that movie but it was an utter disappointment, haha.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Is that a buttstrap reference? ;)
I didn't think of it that way...................butt (yes I know) now that you mention it.:):)

It was actually a reference to a very bad sci-fi movie that starred Peter Weller of Robocop fame,as well as a cast of well known actors.

The title of the flick was " The Adventures of Buckeroo Bonzi,Across The Eight Dimention"

And featured a device( the said overthruster) that allowed him to travel across,,,,you guessed it......different dimentions.

The movie was a real stinker,so if you want to see some really good actors, in a horible movie....or if you just can't sleep one night...rent it.

There ,you'll see American movie making hit bottom,and begin to dig......:):)

Steve B

tamadrm

Platinum Member
It sent a shock wave around the world that was centered around the drumming frequency. Al scored a set of Ludwig Standards as a result.

Steve if you took the quality of information contained in your posts into account, your post count would be 100,000.
Ah...you are too kind my P.A blues drummer dude extraordinaire,King of all PA drumming activity and otherwise electrical stuff.

May your reign be long,and devoid of excess overthruster and flux capacitor activity.:):)

Steve B