Please tell me what Premier drum kit this is.

Mitchdrums

Hey guys, this is my first forum post as I need some help identifying what series of Premier drum kit this is, I bought them a month ago and have done a few hours worth of research and so far I believe I know that the wood construction is 1ply birch, 1 ply African mahogany, 1 ply birch and beech re rings. I also believe it's a Premier 303 because the Tom mounts are the same however I don't think the 303 has African mahogany in the middle? I'm really interested in the wood construction, I also believe they are from the early to mid 70s however I believe the 303 is from 1968ish?

Attachments

Mitchdrums

Thanks for the quick reply, it looks very similar to the 303 and 202 in the different era's but nothing looks exactly the same

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Just out of curiosity, how can you know what wood the drums are made of but not know the model? Surely a discovery of one should lead the another.

What is that little post with the toothed base in the picture that shows the front of a lug?

Mitchdrums

I only believe it is that type of wood because my researched shows it is in the era of 1968-1975 and the only wood the used was birch and beech re rings (which wouldn't explain the darker ply of wood), they also used African mahogany (but it is much too light for mahogany) and in some cases I read that they used birch, mahogany, birch and beech re rings (which fits mine perfectly as I have one ply of darker wood in the middle). So as I stated I only believe it is this wood construction as it fits best, I don't know series it is because I find ones that look very similar and then I find a few things that are different.
Sorry I'm not 100% sure what photo you are referring to, but I believe it is the image to show the dark ply of wood.

Mikecore

Silver Member
Just looking at the photos you provided, I have to start with an informed guess that you have 14", 16" and 22" drums there. If that's true, then I would say they are one half of a 1968-era B505 kit. It can't be any later than 1972 because that's when the Lok Fast tom brackets came out, and that configuration did not appear in the 1965 catalog that I saw. Process of elimination says it's not a 303 outfit because those were made for two rack toms and you only have one mount on the bass drum. The black wrap is consistent with a B505 from the '66 to '71 period, but eliminates the Olympics from certain years.

That's about as much Sherlock Holmes as I can muster without more info. Pity the other toms and bass are absent if my guess is correct.

Mitchdrums

Just looking at the photos you provided, I have to start with an informed guess that you have 14", 16" and 22" drums there. If that's true, then I would say they are one half of a 1968-era B505 kit. It can't be any later than 1972 because that's when the Lok Fast tom brackets came out, and that configuration did not appear in the 1965 catalog that I saw. Process of elimination says it's not a 303 outfit because those were made for two rack toms and you only have one mount on the bass drum. The black wrap is consistent with a B505 from the '66 to '71 period, but eliminates the Olympics from certain years.

That's about as much Sherlock Holmes as I can muster without more info. Pity the other toms and bass are absent if my guess is correct.
Could you shed some light as to where I can find photos of a Premier B505?

Tobba

Grey BD hoops, and the badge indicates pre-1968.Floor tom lugs, and the claws on the bd indicates that it's a transition modell between the 50's-mid 60's and the new generation with re-tooled hardware from aprox 68/69. So my bet would be that it was made early 68, with a mix of new and old stock parts.
3ply birch shell with solid beech rings. The middle ply looks a bit darker since the plys are crosslaminated.
Premier did not use Mahogany before 73 or 74 i think. Your kit is older than that.

Mitchdrums

Grey BD hoops, and the badge indicates pre-1968.Floor tom lugs, and the claws on the bd indicates that it's a transition modell between the 50's-mid 60's and the new generation with re-tooled hardware from aprox 68/69. So my bet would be that it was made early 68, with a mix of new and old stock parts.
3ply birch shell with solid beech rings. The middle ply looks a bit darker since the plys are crosslaminated.
Premier did not use Mahogany before 73 or 74 i think. Your kit is older than that.
Sweet, thanks. What do you think t is worth?

Tobba

Sweet, thanks. What do you think t is worth?
It depends where in the world you are situated i think...I don't have a clue about price points on the Australian vintage market. In the UK i think a kit like this would command a price around 350£ mark if the edges and so on are in good shape. I Norway where i live the same kit could command around 5-600£.

Mitchdrums

It depends where in the world you are situated i think...I don't have a clue about price points on the Australian vintage market. In the UK i think a kit like this would command a price around 350£ mark if the edges and so on are in good shape. I Norway where i live the same kit could command around 5-600£.
Yeah the shells are in perfect condition with good bearing edges, I was going to put it on ebay for $250 so that obviously sounds a little cheap?

bigiainw

Gold Member
The later version of this kit was known as the elite, the shell construction and hardware was the same- it differed by having the oval post twin tom tom holder, but is otherwise the same. A great set of drums- I learned on one, and I I was anywhere near you I'd take your hand off for $250. But I'm not :0(

Mitchdrums

The later version of this kit was known as the elite, the shell construction and hardware was the same- it differed by having the oval post twin tom tom holder, but is otherwise the same. A great set of drums- I learned on one, and I I was anywhere near you I'd take your hand off for $250. But I'm not :0(
Thanks for the information! That Is a shame