Please help, need some tips!

SamRoman

Hi everyone,

I was a really good drummer when I was younger. I got my grade 8 at 12 years old, got a percussion scholarship to my secondary school, played in loads of bands etc.

I'm now a record producer and haven't picked up a pair of sticks for about 10 years! I've just got myself a set of V-Drums and had a play and guess what... I'm shit.

No idea what's happened, my coordination is all off, I can't keep up a simple rhythm. Technically speaking everything is fine, I'm still pretty quick too, I just seem to be really out of practice!

Anyone got any good youtube links or just tips/exercises to get back into it?

Would be much appreciated!

Sam.

larryz

Platinum Member
I'd spend some money - if you can afford it - and at least get some instructional dvds. Some may believe in personal teachers, lessons, etc., but you can get an excellent set of 15 dvds w/cds via the "Drumming System" by Mike Michalko, or whatever his name is, or something similar. It's simple and slow but effective (I think so, at least)...

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Just take it slowly to start with, to a click. With a bit of time, that should do it. You might be surprised how quickly you make progress.