Please help id this kit for me vintage ludwig

Smatch

So this is a kit my friend owns who is looking to either sell or trade it. His dad owned this kit before my buddy was born and he was born in 73 so we at least know it's pre 73. Any help with a year and value on this kit would be greatly appreciated. The 12 16 and 22 are the only drums pictured but he also owns the matching 13. Thanks in advance.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Either way you win on this one.
That is a nice kit even though it isn't as old as you first thought that it may have been.
Don't pass it by if the trade deal is good.

Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member
Rounded corners on the B/O badges suggest 80's, and those are 6 ply shells, which are 76 and later. Nice tubs. I have 26, 13, 16, 18 in 6 ply (soon to be retired).​

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Like Harry said,those are definately post 79 because of the badges,6 ply maple/poplar..You also won't be able to date them using the Ludwig serial number chart,but there may be a date stamp in ink inside the shells.

The finish is called thermogloss maple,and is very desireable.Those are great drums.:)

Steve B

Smatch

Thanks a lot guys. I think my buddy joined DW so I am guessing he will ask any further questions and provide any further info. I really appreciate all the help.

ohiodrummer1964

I remember a thread on hear sometime last year talking about how even though the vintage collectors prefer the Ludwig 3-ply's, the 6-ply's have an equally great sound, and to some people's ears a better sound.

I agree with Bobdadrumma, either way you're getting a great kit.

simmsdn

Silver Member
Like Harry said,those are definately post 79 because of the badges,6 ply maple/poplar..You also won't be able to date them using the Ludwig serial number chart,but there may be a date stamp in ink inside the shells.
Concur, I'd date them 1979-1984 (B/O badges w/round corners, tone controls, and they're 6-ply without the grey painted interior). Great sounding drums.

Mine are 1976-1978 (mine do not have tone controls and have a grey painted shell interior). Not dead giveaways for dating, the period between 1976-1985 was a really odd time for Ludwig.

Elvis

Silver Member
Is there another tom?
Double tom mount would suggest a Big Beat kit, so there should be another rack tom, somewhere.

Elvis

harryconway

Platinum Member
I remember a thread on hear sometime last year talking about how even though the vintage collectors prefer the Ludwig 3-ply's, the 6-ply's have an equally great sound, and to some people's ears a better sound.
6 ply's do sound good. When I first put a 26, 13, 16, 18 kit together ... I A/B'd 16 and 18 floors, of each type (3 ply/6 ply). And they do sound different. The 6 ply's project more. And have more "bite". Since I was playing my drums out, I went with the 6 ply shells, and added the 13 and 26. A few years later, now I'm switching to 3 ply's, in the same sizes. No longer am I competing with Marshall stacks and an SVT bass rig.​

Elvis

Silver Member
Comparitively, 6 ply shells exhibit more attack and a slightly brighter sound.
This is a characteristic of their thickness.
3 ply's tend to sound darker and more resonant.
This is a characteristic of their thickness.
Both shells will exhibit a soft punch and a mellow, fat tone.
That is a characteristic of their construction.

Elvis