Playing with your eyes closed.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I do this often, even during challenging bits. I can only do this when I'm in "the zone" though. Playing with my eyes closed allows me to disconnect from the mechanics of playing and let my feel do the work. It's such an organic way of playing to me, and marks my progression from having to think about what I'm playing, to being so comfortable with the piece that I can fly the kit on auto pilot. When my eyes close, I truly know I'm happy and delivering my best possible musical performance. Wish I could be there more often.

Any of you do this, or something similar? Does it help your playing get to another level?

beastdrummagirl

i do this alot when i feel the music just flows. very rarely do i get a chance to "feel the flow". But when i do, i almost always close my eyes and sway to the music and let my drumming flow with the music. it makes you feel at ease and just sooo relaxed. so yes, I do play w/ my eyes closed when and only when i feel the music flow.

Florian

Gold Member
frequently....when in the zone....
Feels good to know your kit so well that you can do this.

F

Fiery

Silver Member
For me, it's a bad habit. I close my eyes when I concentrate on a hard part and I lose contact with the rest of the band. I also tend to stop listening to what the others are playing too, focusing just on the part/fill/beat I'm playing.
I'm working on keeping my eyes open and actually looking at the piece of kit I'm playing on, or the one I'm about to transition to. This allows me to play much more accurately while staying in touch with the rest of the band.

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
I do it too !

It help stay focus, keep the "feel" and it may help the gigging drummers to play efficiently even in the darkest environment.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
For me, it's a bad habit. I close my eyes when I concentrate on a hard part and I lose contact with the rest of the band. I also tend to stop listening to what the others are playing too, focusing just on the part/fill/beat I'm playing.
I'm working on keeping my eyes open and actually looking at the piece of kit I'm playing on, or the one I'm about to transition to. This allows me to play much more accurately while staying in touch with the rest of the band.
Ah, that's actually the reverse state of mind. Rather like gritting your teeth. I close my eyes when I'm so comfortable with the song, I don't need to see what I'm doing. I also think closing my eyes actually helps with band communication, because we're communicating through the music.

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
Playing with my eyes closed allows me to disconnect from the mechanics of playing and let my feel do the work.
Yes I feel the same way and do this often....which is why I'm so picky about things being setup just right before a show.

It gets tricky tho when playing on someone elses kit.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Actually I'm kinda in the same boat as Fiery, it's a habit I'm trying to break.

IMO it's more important to be able to see the musicians in the band. If they're trying to change the dynamics on the spot it'll be hard for them to get your attention if you're in your own world.

But I guess that only applies, if you don't play super consistent, (which I certainly don't on a night to night basis) or if you're jamming by yourself.

my 2 cents.

-Jonathan

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
IMO it's more important to be able to see the musicians in the band. If they're trying to change the dynamics on the spot it'll be hard for them to get your attention if you're in your own world.
I'm glad you mentioned that because that is the drawback....you may be in a zone but your not interacting.

I've actually missed some band ques by not looking....and yes it is a hard habit to break especially when its constantly done during practice sessions when your alone.

Meat the beat

When I'm in "the pocket" I often shut the lights out and enjoy the sensation making the groove gives you.

Also when I rimshot my DW Edge snare!! But then my eyes close involuntarily!!

yesdog

Silver Member
I love it when you are in the zone not looking at other band mates knowing there is a break
or transition coming. Then at the last second you look up at them and nail it. its almost like
saying gotcha. you did not think I was paying attention. 95% of the time I am at full attention, but sometimes you just get in the zone and groove. when I do that I am still full aware of whats coming and yes I am still counting.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I find it very hard to do it with 5 guys standing there saing "what the fudge"..but i do try and do it, it can take you're mind off things...unimportant things!

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I agree that it can help you zone in. Vision is our main sensory input. With that shut down other senses take over.

That said, I had my eyes closed during a gig once and the guitar player broke three strings at once, and wanted to end the song early. Needless to say I missed the cue. From that day on I've kept my eyes open.

HTH

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Playing with eyes closed is a guilty pleasure for me. Conventional wisdom has it that we should keep eyes open to stay more in touch with the other musicians. But with eyes closed I feel more connected with the music as a whole - more organic, less "drumming by numbers".

jjmason777

He was just passed out during that song.
LOL! Yea, him and Keith Moon.

I have never closed my eyes while on stage, too much going on. I need to stay focused on the band for visual cues, and at the very least, to look at some of the eye candy that may be diggin' the band.

toddy

Platinum Member
i used to do it all the time, but i was told not to by a teacher, so now i don't do it so much.

Davo-London

Gold Member
Guilty pleasure describes it perfectly.

I do it too much as well. I do find I can consentrate on a difficult passage better with my eyes closed, but I agree with the posters here that, when playing with others, it is a bad habit.

Davo