Playing with younger musicians

mikel

Platinum Member
For myself I am willing to live hard to reach my goals. I grew up poor and still live on a bare minimum. So struggling financially is not something that is new for me. I think that honestly is a blessing because I'm willing to endure what most are not to reach my goals no matter how long it takes.

I like to study the lives of successful people. The vast majority of them were poor, struggling to keep a roof over their heads and food in the mouths. By the grace of God they survived and did what they had to do to get where they wanted to get.

It all boils down to how bad a person really wants something.
Its a well used cliche but sadly not true. No matter how determined someone might be they also need massive amounts of natural talent, know the right people, be in the right place at the right time, remain fit and healthy, and have a gigantic slice of luck. The last one being the most important.

rain dog

No matter how determined someone might be they also need massive amounts of natural talent, know the right people, be in the right place at the right time, remain fit and healthy, and have a gigantic slice of luck. The last one being the most important.
agree. but i will add persistence to the formula.

If you play the guitar, it won't be long. you'll be writin' and singin' them songs.
It's easy easy you bet. you'll be big if you don't quit - JJ Cale and Eric Clapton

tcspears

Gold Member
Its a well used cliche but sadly not true. No matter how determined someone might be they also need massive amounts of natural talent, know the right people, be in the right place at the right time, remain fit and healthy, and have a gigantic slice of luck. The last one being the most important.
At the risk of veering off-topic for this thread, I don't think it's as simple as saying that he was wrong... you both have valid points. There's a mixture of luck and hard work/drive.

Yes, you need natural talent, or the ability to learn. I'm an awful dancer, and no matter how much I want to be a pro-dancer (I don't really), it won't happen if I can't dance.

Knowing the right people and being in the right place is not luck at all. If you are determined to succeed in any business, you're going to seek out and network with others in that industry, and you're going to go to a place where there's work. That's not luck. I know that if I live in Buford, Wyoming (the smallest town in the US), and I want to be a pro musician, I'm going to have to go to Nashville/Boston/NYC/London et cetera. There's no way I can become a professional musician if I stay somewhere far away from any music work.

Having a massive amount of luck really doesn't have anything to do with working as a musician. Luck has more to do with becoming famous. Including composers and arrangers, there are almost 1 million professional musicians in the US and Canada. (See BMI, ASCAP, and AFM). That's only union musicians, there are tons of non-union pros as well.

Yes there are limiting factors that can't be helped. No matter how hard I work, and how much I put into it, at 5'9" I'll never be in the NBA (basketball for the non-US folks).

So natural ability is important, or at leas the ability to learn. But the rest is all about how much you are willing to do to get where you want. It's the same with most jobs and careers.

mikel

Platinum Member
agree. but i will add persistence to the formula.

If you play the guitar, it won't be long. you'll be writin' and singin' them songs.
It's easy easy you bet. you'll be big if you don't quit - JJ Cale and Eric Clapton
Possibly. You can be as persistent as you like though, but without talent, contacts and a great slice of luck you will still get nowhere. There are lots of highly gifted bedroom heroes that no one will ever know because they never got the break/luck. Always has been always will be. The music bizz is a tempting mistress who flatters to decieve.