Playing with other people

darkstar442

Dude i feel ya im 15 iv been playing drums for almost 8 years and i have been wanting to do the same thing for 3 years and i cant even find a guitarist....

brittc89

Pioneer Member
I know it's USEFUL, but I'm sick of it. It's just notes and exercise, not music.
Well then find ways to make it musical while you practice. Every time you sit down at the drums you should be making music, even if youre just practicing exercises.

The Colonel

Silver Member
Well then find ways to make it musical while you practice. Every time you sit down at the drums you should be making music, even if youre just practicing exercises.

Bingo. "Notes" *are* "music". What can you do with yours?

As a musical exercise I made a solo drum "album" when I was 17 on my mini-disc player (now broken...and now I will have to spend money on an obsolete media to hear all of my discs). I didn't have anyone to play with for a while, as my sax player Travis was gone on vacation.

It was raining one day so I went outside and recorded that - with a bird's stark chirping - and played some bells and shook some giant ferns and jumped on our giant stick pile (lived next to a forest on a mountain) and there was the opening track.

Next track was back at the kit - a piece in 3/4 that I wrote a "head" to - played that - played some variations - soloed - and ended with the head again (a jazz tune, essentially - minus everyone else) Track 2.

Track 3 was a rubato thing that I remember not having much "direction" afterwards...sort of cliche stuff with mallets on toms and washy cymbals...meh...

By this time it was lightning outside so I went out and recorded some rain and thunder sounds - as a sort of constant theme for my "album"

Next was with a bunch of klanky toys and piles of sticks being thrown all over the kit - very sporadic with some interesting/random results.

etc etc - you get the point. I think a total of 3 people have heard the disc - 4 if you include my dad being in the house at the time - but I got a lot out of that. One of the biggest things being "Okay - it's just me playing these 4 drums and 3 cymbals: What can I do with them to make them interesting to listen to? *Can* I make it interesting to listen to 10 tracks of *just drumming*? Is this 'music'?"

Give it a shot. See what you can come up with by yourself.