Playing whilst ill.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Ok, here's a little warning for you. I wasn't improving, in fact, feeling very ill, so I checked in the doctor this afternoon. I'm now in hospital, apparently, with the mother of all chest infections. Hooked up to all kinds of crap, feeding me antibiotics, steroids, the whole deal. Apparently, I should have sought help earlier. Stubborn old bastard. If I'm stable, they're happy to throw me out tomorrow. Can't wait! This bloody place is full of sick people :)

Thank you for your kind words Andy.Please get well soon,and all my best hope concerning your more severe medical problems

As far as the initial question though,I have played through more than my fair share of colds and flu.I used to gig a minimum of 3 nights a week,so I guess there were more than enough germs to go around in small to average size venues.I do recall getting sicker more often then also;holding down a full time job,and playing out.At least one night a week getting only a few hours sleep,and commuting to work takes its toll.

I guess I know my body well enough to know when I'm pushing it too far though.A temp of 102 and thats it for me..I've been up to 104,and almost hospitalized,but the truth is..105 and that may be all she wrote.Brain damage at that temp.I need my brain in working order thank you.

The show must go on and all that but,for me, common sense prevails. I say,sorry boys,I can't do it,and I live to drum another day.Not worth being Mr.Macho and risking your life over playing drums.I have a greater responsibilty to loved ones.

Steve B

D

Doctor Dirt

One year ago this passed March 21st I was hit by an SUV on a sunday morning at 10am, the kid ran a stop sign and ran through the intersection hit me. My left leg was broken clean through above my ankle and below my knee. My heel was degloved (removed) and my foot had multiple broken bones and ofcourse nerve damage throughout my leg was the final straw.
I went back to work last April 13 months after the accident, my hi hat patterns aren'r exactly the same to say the least and theres NO heel toe action hahaha cause there ain't no heel. I've played drums and sung my entire life, I also trained PP (personal protection) dogs from the same time I started my music career. They both afforded me a nice living. When disco came in and everyone got hurt bad the PP traing was flourishing so other than going back into the small rooms and bars so my guys could earn I survived very well.
Now that I'm in these shoes I will NOT over extend myself even though my heart tells me to do it. I'm only 61 years old but my body is not in good shape, and my mind simply isn't focussed like back in the day.
Be very carefull giging with temps!!!! Thats actually very serious business and when dehydraition is involved you can do some serious damage to yourself. Think! Doc

Otto

Platinum Member
Hey KIS,

not sure if you frequent gavins thread...but he had a great set of replys to a similar question.

What a great resource!...suggest searching "sick" against gavins data.

He speaks to health via exercise as well...more implied...but a sure underpinning of his sucess.(amongst many)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Thanks for your kind thoughts & info guys.

Phew! Doctors round nice & early, so I baled directly :) Feeling like a different guy! Pretty weak, but a whole lot different to 24 hours ago. Those drugs sure did their work. Luckily for me, I've avoided taking antibiotics over the last 25 years, so they really work well on me. Looks like I'll be gigging this weekend after all :) :) :)

tard

Gold Member
Got to give you credit for pushing thru, and hope you get well soon. I have been in the same boat several times. Playing with the flu is not fun, weak, sweating with cold chills and trying to vomit in a bucket whilst still playing have not been the highlight of my musical career but we do what we must do, or think we must do at the time. In my younger days I have played gigs after putting my back out setting up and even had to play the kick drum the whole night once with my left foot after badly spraining my right ankle after miss judging the curb on a snow covered sidewalk while carrying gear into the club. The high hat work suffered that night but thank god for double peddle bass drum peddles as well as extra strength advil...lol

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Thanks guys. I tried to play my kit today. Managed about 15 minutes then had to give up. Coordination all over the place. Guess I've got a hill to climb by Saturday.

BTW Tard, I keep a double pedal exactly for that reason. When my right leg decides to take a holiday, I play the gig out with my left. Just simple grooves, but enough to finish the gig.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Geez, Andy, you were in no condition to be out and about, let alone playing!

I've recently taken on a new approach to illnesses: Better to miss one day of work to rest than do half as much work for a week because you're sick. Realistically, I would break out the pad and practice if I were feeling under the weather, but if I can't play the music correctly, then I certainly wouldn't gig. I'd at least try to find a fill-in.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I'm so jealous, I wish I could do that..... :((
Haha, I didn't say it sounded great :) It's just a plan B when the tumour's in a bad mood. Luckily, that only happens maybe 2 gigs a year.

Geez, Andy, you were in no condition to be out and about, let alone playing!

I've recently taken on a new approach to illnesses: Better to miss one day of work to rest than do half as much work for a week because you're sick. Realistically, I would break out the pad and practice if I were feeling under the weather, but if I can't play the music correctly, then I certainly wouldn't gig. I'd at least try to find a fill-in.
No sub option I'm afraid for this Saturday. I'll make the final call tomorrow evening. I'm hopeful I'll be ok, but I'll be simplifying to the max if I do the gig. I'll probably put a fair bit more through the PA than usual too. Just so I don't have to give it the hammer quite so much. I hate what that does to the band dynamic though, but better to have a lounge drummer than non at all :)

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I'd at least try to find a fill-in.
No sub option I'm afraid for this Saturday. I'll make the final call tomorrow evening. I'm hopeful I'll be ok, but I'll be simplifying to the max if I do the gig. I'll probably put a fair bit more through the PA than usual too. Just so I don't have to give it the hammer quite so much. I hate what that does to the band dynamic though, but better to have a lounge drummer than non at all :)
It's funny you mention a sub to cover for sickness or accidents, I had 2 experiences with that...

Once a broke a bone on the palm of my left hand, 4 days prior to a couple of gigs over a week end, we tried a friend drummer to sub for me, so I was present during his first rehearsal with the band, just to give him advice on some patterns and clue to the arrangements of the songs, he had some difficulties on a paricular song, so I tried to show him on the kit, and to my utter surprise, all my band mates thought that it was good, so we decided that I would play the gigs, and I did, with much less fills and simplified.

The other time was different, I was called for a sub by a hard rock band because their drummer went to hospital with an appendicites, it was just for one gig with about 15 songs to learn/play and a whole week to rehearse for it, we went through their set list 3 times per day for 5 days until the gig on the saturday, that was the only time I had to sub for another drummer and it was quite a stressful experience...