Playing metal covers, is it even possible?

wannabedrummer

Good evening! I Had my first touch with drumkit about 6 months ago when I bought one.

Main reason for starting to play drums for me was to jam along/make covers from my favorite bands such as Killswitch engage,soilwork,parkway drive,BFMV,Disarmonia mundi etc etc.

As time has passed by now i have roughly learned only 2 songs and i find all these bands nearly impossible to play exactly PERFECT.

How many years/how much time does it take to learn these kind of metal songs? Anyone here got some examples or something? Also, any tips for learning covers etc.

Will I ever become a solid drummer or am i just sucker with ADHD who cant concentrate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpc0DIQKEa4

Arky

Platinum Member
Welcome to the forum.

Is this you playing in the video? If so - please post in the /Your Place/ -> /Your Playing/ section next time and I'll have to move the thread there. If no - I beg your pardon.

BTW, who else if not you yourself would judge whether you're satisfied with what you can play? Do you play for others or for yourself? And don't forget about the FUN. The fun in drumming starts from the moment you pick up a pair of sticks, not after 6 months or 3 years or 'once you've made it'. Have fun NOW and enjoy the process - wherever you're heading for.

What's your definition of a 'solid drummer'? A drummer who can learn and record YouTube covers in no time or a drummer who has enough skills to play music with confidence, provide good time (keeping a steady tempo) and contribute to your fellow musicians having a good time?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I almost don't believe you're that good after only 6 months.

Anyway no one's perfect all of the time, if you see someone playing perfectly there's a small chance they're freakishly accurate but they've probably practiced lots.

Are you really only playing drums so you can cover songs? So you can post on YouTube? That's a bit strange.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Are you really only playing drums so you can cover songs? So you can post on YouTube? That's a bit strange.
I find that to be a weird motivation, too. It's not like we all haven't met guitarists or singers who play just for the attention, though.

wannabedrummer

Are you really only playing drums so you can cover songs? So you can post on YouTube? That's a bit strange.[/QUOTE]

Yeah most likely only for playing covers,i dont know any guitarists etc and jamming randomly alone is really bore. I dont want to be youtube star like meytal,cooperdrummer etc etc.

Maybe i could post some of my fav. songs to youtube to inspire people,like they made me to buy drumset. And here comes the problem, i find extremely hard to play something from like PARKWAY DRIVE, Im just asking here some tips and advices. Also want to know am i doing something wrong and will i ever be able to play those difficult songs? Or do i just need to train hard for several years?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
It sounds like you don't want to hear this, but drumming is hard. It's not just hitting stuff, and the people you're trying to emulate have been doing this likely for the better part of their lives.

If you want to play well, practice a lot because you love to do it, not because you want to post something to youtube and want to know why it's taking so long to be awesome.

loki03xlh

Good evening! I Had my first touch with drumkit about 6 months ago when I bought one.

Main reason for starting to play drums for me was to jam along/make covers from my favorite bands such as Killswitch engage,soilwork,parkway drive,BFMV,Disarmonia mundi etc etc.

As time has passed by now i have roughly learned only 2 songs and i find all these bands nearly impossible to play exactly PERFECT.

How many years/how much time does it take to learn these kind of metal songs? Anyone here got some examples or something? Also, any tips for learning covers etc.

Will I ever become a solid drummer or am i just sucker with ADHD who cant concentrate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpc0DIQKEa4
You sound pretty good for playing only 6 months. Don't expect to be able to play note for note with someone who has been playing for years or decades. I've played basketball for more than 6 months and I still think Lebron James would take me in a game of 1 on 1.

Souljacker

Silver Member
Truth is you've progressed quicker than a lot of drummers would have in 6 months.

Keep going, it's evident from your video that you've put in the effort and you have a flair for drumming.

You will hit those targets eventually, have faith in the progress you've made so far.

M

Mike_In_KC

The forum really believes that the guy in that video has been playing for only 6 months???

wannabedrummer

The forum really believes that the guy in that video has been playing for only 6 months???
Hey mike i bought my drumkit at september and i recorded this song at christmas vacation.
Its really easy song,just straight doublebass all the way,and as u can see there is many many little mistakes..and also i had to train this song for months. i play around 3-4hours everyday. I think this conversation is running out of subject..most likely i wanted to find a person here who has done a hard/tricky cover from any of the bands i mentioned and tell me how much did they needed to train the song,how long they have played drums so i could maybe stop trying cause its seems impossible to me at this point..

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Well you've done very well, I think you are quite gifted and you might not be able to play many things but when you play that song, you sound as good as many long time drummers.

Anyway, drumming for most of us is a lifelong thing. You don't train for ''several years'' and then say "oh I can drum now", the drummers that keep drumming and enjoy what they do are on a never ending quest for self improvement, so while you think they sound amazing, they might be thinking "'man, I sound crap today', that sucked''. And the people who think they sound perfect probably do suck, or at least they won't improve quickly. So you're chasing a dragon if you've heard that expression - you will never be perfect, and there will always be someone faster, groovier, more technical etc etc etc

So I think if you've been practicing 4 hours a day you're very motivated and I think you should keep drumming but you should do it for the right reasons and keep in mind that it's alot of work and sacrifice.

wannabedrummer

So I think if you've been practicing 4 hours a day you're very motivated and I think you should keep drumming but you should do it for the right reasons and keep in mind that it's alot of work and sacrifice.[/QUOTE]

REALLY GREAT ANSWER!! IT MOTIVATES ME ALOT!!

yeah ofc im drumming for right reasons,i love smashing the crashes with doublebass,for many hours a day. It just would be so much more awesome to play your favorite songs wich get your adrenale running. It just feels impossible at the moment and im getting depressed..this case is closed. Thank you!!

M

Mike_In_KC

Dude I apologize - it sounds like I might have made a mistake. Please excuse my rudeness.

I would encourage you to get a teacher man. I am a new drummer also and I have gained valuable insight and guided study from my teacher - and it is not that expensive. If a teacher is not possible try to come up with your own guided study program by using the Search feature on this forum and looking for "practice routines' - you will find a plethora of information that you can use to develop a regimented but fun practice routine. You will get to the point where covering songs is almost a no-brainer - but you gotta build up your core skills first. Peace.

MM

Last edited:

HMNY

Silver Member
wannabedrummer, that is some great playing for having only played drums for just 6 months, keep up the good work! I wish I could be as solid.

May I ask, do you play any other instruments?

Last edited:

toddmc

Gold Member
You're setting yourself up for failure if you're worried about playing the song absolutely perfectly anyway.
I can understand you want to do the song justice (and I personally hate covers being embellished too much) but at the same time it's about having fun with it and letting the odd mistake or 2 go through (otherwise you'll be obsessing over those 1 or 2 little mistakes).
BTW- thought you did a great job for a first cover.