Playing barefoot bad for you.

K

kjsm

Actually what you heard is not BS, on the contrary of what many seem to think here. Go ask a podiatrist - you can (notice I did not use the verb "will") develop arch problems because there is nothing supporting the arch of the foot when playing barefooted. Some people who play hard even get bruises on the ball of their feet.

Just like one should use good technique with his hands in order to not hurt himself, the same goes for playing barefooted.
fact
fact
f-f-f' fact
how many dissenters here can prove their thoughts more than the contrary?
zactly.

drumhead61

Gold Member
Well, I am starting off right then, I already have the glorious priveledge of having nerve damage in both my feet and therefore will not matter if I play with shoes or not I will still hurt and who cares...I will play anyway just like I have to walk! BUT, if you do not want foot problems don't run barefoot on gravel, glass, or rocks!

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
No.... I don't believe stuff like that for a second. You'd have to have horrible technique to really hurt yourself. Even then, if you are playing poorly enough to hurt yourself, then it doesn't matter what you have on your feet...

This is like the glove debate in a way. Use em' if you think they actually help, but don't tell me for a second that I should or shouldn't.

Shoes or gloves might help you from developing callouses depending on the style of music you are playing, or your technique, but if you know yourself and your body, you should develop your playing to keep from hurting yourself.
Agreed, it sounds silly. Walking or running puts much more stress on the feet than drumming.

Drum-Head

Silver Member
Agreed, it sounds silly. Walking or running puts much more stress on the feet than drumming.
Your point doesn't make sens - your feet are supported with shoes when doing walking or running. Try running barefooted and you'll understand.

Again, podiatrists (who are doctors specialized in feet and lower leg issues for those who don't know) seem to have another point of view not based on just opinion like I seem to read in this thread. And please guys, don't come up with another conspiracy theory about the podiatrist lobby trying to get that out so they can earn more money ugh! I see that one coming...

Don't get me wrong, you can of course play barefooted, but don't overlook the fact that you can hurt yourself. Just like with hand technique, it's when one just "does it" thinking he is invincible or underestimating the strain that you can put on your body, that horror stories about pains and other problems occur.

Last edited:

PQleyR

Platinum Member
If it was bad for you, wouldn't it hurt in some way? Things that are bad for you generally do, but most people are very good at not noticing what their body tells them.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Your point doesn't make sens - your feet are supported with shoes when doing walking or running. Try running barefooted and you'll understand.

Again, podiatrists (who are doctors specialized in feet and lower leg issues for those who don't know) seem to have another point of view not based on just opinion like I seem to read in this thread. And please guys, don't come up with another conspiracy theory about the podiatrist lobby trying to get that out so they can earn more money ugh! I see that one coming...

Don't get me wrong, you can of course play barefooted, but don't overlook the fact that you can hurt yourself. Just like with hand technique, it's when one just "does it" thinking he is invincible or underestimating the strain that you can put on your body, that horror stories about pains and other problems occur.
You are right, running or walking barefoot is bad for the feet too (unless you are on grass or soft dirt all the time).

While I wouldn't rule out foot problems from drumming, it just seems like the feet and knees would be the least likely part to get hurt. I've never heard of foot problems from drumming from anyone - barefoot or shod. Back, shoulder, neck, hand, elbow, wrist, hip and finger problems are more likely and I hear about them all the time. Unless you're playing Terry Bozzio's set, your feet really don't move side-to-side much, they don't have to go to many different places and you're not putting much weight on the feet or moving them through an extreme range of motion. I would think repetitive strain injuries would be most likely to happen with the feet but I don't know if shoes would help or hurt that.

Wavelength

Platinum Member
The biggest risks of barefoot injury comes from playing heel up (maybe with an overly steep angle to boot), using excessive force, pounding the beater into the drum head and burying it there. This will transfer a lot of impact energy into a fairly small area of your foot, which can lead to bruises or even small fractures

I have to point, though, that the main reason for these injuries would be BAD TECHNIQUE, not the lack of shoes. Shoes can dissipate the shock a bit better and bad technique has less of an effect on your feet, but the shock will still transfer to your knees. So, play with proper technique and you'll be just fine in any clothing.

Foof

I've been playing shoeless for over 40 years.Mostly with socks on,very little barefoot.I took some shoe/foot pads(foam & gel) & taped them to the pedal.Pain problem gone.

LM201

I've never heard of such a thing. The only thing I've experienced is I have a lot of calluses on my feet from after two years of double bass on some bad pedals. Well not really bad, they were just DW 7000s that just scraped up my feet somehow.

beatsMcGee

Pioneer Member
with refined techique and such, your feet should not be "pounding" on any pedals... infact with correct technique your foot doesnt leave the pedal surface completely (maybe slightly for heel-toe for fractions of a mili second at a time etc..). as far as your arches and such not being supported while your drumming really doesnt hold that much water to me beacuse your not exerting a significant amount of weight on your feet (again with proper technique) for your arches to be stressed.

its like worrying if your going to break your neck while your sleeping... sure it COULD happen--you could fall out of your bed at just the right angle and snap your neck--but is it likely and should you worry about it? No.

continue to play barefoot I say... the worse that could happen is you'll have to develope some callouses if your feet are to sensitive.

groovemaster_flex

Silver Member
I dont believe it either. Unless my drum teacher came up to me and said, "You shouldn't go barefeet while playing drums" and then listed off thousands of professional drummers who said this and gave an explanation as to why, I wouldn't believe it. I play barefeet all the time, and I dont think it's affected my playing negatively in any way. As a matter of fact, sometimes I play barefeet live, but I always keep a pair of sneakers nearby, in case somebody breaks some beer bottles on the stage.

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
How about... It's just gross. Gross for your feet. Gross for the pedal. Nuff said.
Soooo you re sayin you never wash your feet? Or never clean your pedal?

Sharing pedals shouldnt be a problem either because if you re sharing a kit, you should be bringing your own pedal(and snare,sticks, and cymbals).

D

DamoSyzygy

Playing barefoot is not a problem. The weight isnt even on your feet.

To be honest Id be a lot more concerned with running in shoes than sitting barefoot.

I play in socks or barefeet because that is how I live at home. Unfortunately it sounds like I may be at greater risk walking around without support on the hard wood and linoleum floors of Castle Endion than while sitting on the throne - drum or other. And the toe stubbings? Never has a drum kit done to my toes the damage inflicted by the average door frame or table leg!

I did have an instructor recommend wearing shoes while practicing once. However that was when I was starting out. I would sometimes take off my shoes while using his kit when I would begin stumbling on the faster base rythms. In retrospect I don't think the recommendation was because he was concerned for my health.

bonzolead

Platinum Member
Plain & simple,Myself i don't. get the same response on my bass & hi-hat pedals with my shoes on as when I do with my shoes off.the pedals play better with my shoes off.

Bonzolead

I practice at home bare foot. And the feel is great. Kinda like tossing the condom out the window. lol. On jobs I were shoes. I suppose just to look respectable to the audiance.
Saying that. There are shoes I cant play a lick on. And some have great feel.

Socks in the winter and bare foot in the summer. The drumming socks I prefer are thick, because the thin ones get holes in them very quickly in the heel and ball area. I have considered very light running shoes, but I have not spent the time to look into that. I could not imagine drumming with street shoes. I would hate that feel of constriction when drumming.
The only problem I can think of is the unpleasant odour from their feet for some people.