Picking the new drummer for our band

Daphfz

awesome! :D not the turn out i wouldve wanted, but hey, you never know, he may progress very rapidly :), make sure he becomes a member here :), that way he has access to all out knowledge to help speed him on his way to a high level of the drumming art :)

dkerwood

Silver Member
Candidate #2 decided to back out because he is in fact too busy. We gave the call to Candidate #1, and he's super excited. First rehearsal is tonight!

dkerwood

Silver Member
So the 38 year old canceled the audition for yesterday. He needed to study for some quizzes today. My thought is, if this is important to you, can you not spare one hour? He says he still really wants to audition, so I told him Tuesday at the latest.

Makes me worry about how much time he'd be able to commit to the band if we did hire him. Of course, maybe this is an isolated incident. Maybe he's still freaked out about being back in school. I just don't want to distract him too much from his studies, and I also don't want to worry about whether he'll flake on rehearsals or worse, performances.

Daphfz

i'd go with the 38 year old :), he seems like he knows what hes doing, and you need a good drummer, so i'd go with him :)

dkerwood

Silver Member
Okay, so I have a Christian rock band. We started in 2004 as a power trio- I'm on guitar and vocals, my sister plays bass and sings, and we had another guy on drums. For the next year, we shuffled drummers quite a bit until we settled in with a guy from church in his early 50's (I'm 26 and my sister is 20). He had been out of drumming for twenty-some years, but really burned it up in the late 70's/early 80's. We got him back into it and over the next two years we played about fifty shows, which isn't bad for a band that doesn't do the bar circuit.

Anyway, it was a great match and worked really well until fall of 2007. I got my teaching degree and my sister graduated high school and left for college. Luckily, my teaching job was only a half hour away from where her college is (and I've since moved to a better job in the same town as the college), but our drummer had career and family 2 hours away back home. We tried to make it work, but our shows have certainly dwindled (3 in the twelve month period after we moved). Finally, we called him up last summer to ask about a gig- he said he just couldn't spare the money to drive up and that we might be better served to find someone closer.

The three of us had talked about this since before we moved, so it wasn't a shock. Truth be told, I had already placed a few ads on Craigslist, but had no response aside from players who had no interest in the "Christian" side of our band and just wanted to play. I had a friend who played drums sit in with us for the gig, but it wasn't a good fit. Every few months I would put up another CL ad, but no response... until last week.

I had just finished putting up an explicit "this is who we are and what our mission is" ad, having grown tired of drummers who reply with questions like, "I don't have a drumset, is that ok?" or "I'm not really into 'pushing' religion- is that a problem?" Unlike previous attempts, however, this ad yielded a result- a 22 year old musician who had played guitar for years but only recently picked up the drums. We jammed with him Tuesday for about 45 minutes. He's green, but I can see a fantastic sense of groove in him. Once he picks up the coordination that only time behind the kit can bestow, he'll certainly be good enough to play with us. He also seems really teachable. Downside? Tama Swingstar kit with B8 cymbals. Also, his only other drumming experience was with a metal band with some friends... we're definitely NOT a metal band. Finally, while we all got along fine, there was an awkward vibe that I'm not sure I can attribute to having just met...

In any event, I was about to call him on Thursday and ask him to join the band when I got another response. Candidate #2 is a 38-year-old man who brought his wife and baby here so he could go back to college. He had been working in aviation, but now he wants to go through school and get a doctorate in order to teach music. Tama Starclassic kit with Zildjian pies. He also mentioned that he was working on the Moeller Technique for sticking and the Jojo Mayers "Secrets for the Modern Drummer" video, which tells me he's pretty serious about his craft. We'll play with him tomorrow, and unless I'm completely off my game, I suspect that he'll blow the socks off of the first guy.

Downsides? Family, for one. My wife is the most encouraging woman you'll ever meet. Our old drummer's wife was equally understanding. The new guy's wife would have to be another superwoman to let him go out and play music 30 weekends a year. I also worry that college is a ticking clock. The local college does have a Master's program, but no Doctoral program. He'll have to leave eventually. Finally, I'm honestly worried that our music might be too "bubble gum" for him. It's all material that I wrote and ranges from serious ballads to poppy punk to southern rock and everything in between.

Finally, although age is not an issue, it's certainly something to consider. Since there's a brother and sister in the group, everyone always assumed that the older guy on drums was our dad. Candidate #2 is a lot younger than our old drummer (and only 12 years older than me), but who knows if that would make a difference.

I know all these decisions are fairly moot until we play with this guy tomorrow, but I'm trying to think through as much as I can so we can make our decision Sunday night or Monday.

Thoughts?