Phil Collins is Back

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Phil Collins is back!

"I'm no longer officially retired," he told Rolling Stone in an article published today. "The horse is out of the stable and I'm raring to go."

Collins, a hit-maker back in the 80's and 90's, is the man responsible for classic like "In the Air Tonight" and "Sussudio." But the man hasn't released a new album since 2002 and even did a farewell tour years back.

"My kids are now 10 and 14 and they want to see what their dad does," he told the magazine. "They love my music and I'd like to take them out so they can enjoy it."

After splitting from his third wife in 2008, Collins said he "went through a few bits of darkness; drinking too much. I killed my hours watching TV and drinking, and it almost killed me. But I haven't had a drink in three years."

Collins, who moved to Miami to be close to his kids, said he built a studio in his home there and will begin recording soon.

As for a Genesis reunion, Collins said he's taking one step at a time.

"Let's start with this [solo] bit first. I love the guys. I would just prefer to do this first," he said.

Icetech

Gold Member
I honestly never heard collins really drum til recently and i was just blown away.. i always have and always will hate early genesis.. but man he could play. There is a short documentary about why he quit and his recent rehab and such. including them pulling out his old kit that has been sitting like 15 years and him trying it on again.. very cool stuff

NVIC

Gotta love Phil and his drumming. And the fact he did BOTH Live Aid shows on the same day :) Ah the '80s!!

opentune

Platinum Member
Ha, first time I've ever seen him with a Ludwig.
Phil gets a bad rap from some critics because his solo music was viewed overly commercial. But in his own words: 'look, all I did was write a song'. The guy is a real mofo on drums, especially in the early days of Genesis - he was heavily influenced by jazz and Motown.
I read in RS that apparently out of his retirement he will not be playing drums on this tour, only piano and vocal.

blinky

One of the greatest, a big influence, especially his early Genesis drumming. Seems to be a very nice person too. Sadly his drumming days seems to be over.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Would love to see a Gabriel Genesis reunion, I'm a dreamer!

It was sad to see him trying to record the drums for Going Back with a stick taped to his hand.

His technique puts way to much pressure on his back and neck because he sits really high above the kit and has his toms angled towards him and snare angle towards him and too low. Looks really awkward. I'd have thought he'd do what Neil Peart or Steve Smith did and rework their technique which has really benefitted their playing.

Technique aside his playing on Genesis up to 1980 was amazing (Selling England By The Pound oh yes) and the Brand X stuff was pretty darn tasty too.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I was never a huge Phil Collins fan, but I was shocked at some of the vitriol directed towards him in recent years. Being popular is a mother****** of a bullseye on musicians. It got to the point where everything he did drew some kind of wrath, like the way they shredded him over jetting from one side of the Atlantic to the other for Live Aid.

Anyway, good for him. He was always a fine musician, even if not all of his work did much for me.

opentune

Platinum Member
His technique puts way to much pressure on his back and neck because he sits really high above the kit and has his toms angled towards him and snare angle towards him and too low. Looks really awkward. I'd have thought he'd do what Neil Peart or Steve Smith did and rework their technique which has really benefitted their playing.
That's a critique of his posture, not technique. His technique sure seems fine to me on all those drum solos through the years. His setup is not the source of his back problems. He had a fall, and has had a pinched nerve in his back since a child.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Collins IMO is more valid as a musician/drummer than say a Neil Peart.

Collins did pop, prog, and prog rock, and he sings.

Like his voice or not, like his pop or not, Collins 'is' iconic.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
That's a critique of his posture, not technique. His technique sure seems fine to me on all those drum solos through the years. His setup is not the source of his back problems. He had a fall, and has had a pinched nerve in his back since a child.
I read an interview where he himself attributed at least part of his issues with the weird way he would turn his head and keep it at the angle to sing into a mic while drumming.

NVIC

Can anyone explain a song like "Take Me Home" or Phil's approach to drumming on his mid 1980s heyday recordings? Combination of his drumming + machines? Curious.

WallyY

Platinum Member
He was the reason I went and spent all my saved up cash for a Simmons 5 set.
When he played it with Robert Plant he sounded great.
I only sold the set about two months ago and got a good amount for it considering it's now one of those sets the old synth players are clamoring for.

I got to see him play with Chester Thompson and that was a really good act.

I got to see a clinic with Chester Thompson and bought a Paiste Power ride because of it. I played that ride for a long time.

I always considered Phil Collins a classic rock drummer first and his solo act was just music for the marketplace. The supermarket.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I read an interview where he himself attributed at least part of his issues with the weird way he would turn his head and keep it at the angle to sing into a mic while drumming.
^ This.

Don Henley had the same problems, which is in part why Don stopped playing drums.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Can anyone explain a song like "Take Me Home" or Phil's approach to drumming on his mid 1980s heyday recordings? Combination of his drumming + machines? Curious.
Yes, Phil used drum machines quite often on his solo stuff.

knopflerfan

Big fan of Phil. Great drummer, stand-up guy, and penned/sung some really great songs("In The Air Tonight", "Easy Lover", "Another Day In Paradise", etc...). Good to hear he's back.

M

Matt Bo Eder

During the 80s, I think Phil was the first guy to utilize both on a recording. the drum machine hit in 1980 I believe, and artists either used it to replace the drummer, or they didn't use one. Hall & Oates I think would use the drum machine to start a song, but when the drums came in, they would take the machine out. Phil would let the pattern play throughout that particular song and then play the tom fills live over that.

Stewart Copeland from the Police said they used the drum machine backwards: they would use it to record the music, then he would go in and replace it with his own drums later, just like the other two guys in the band.

Because the 80s saw MIDI, it was an interesting time to be an electronic musician.