peter criss original ludwig / kiss kit up for auction

drummerfish

i didn't see a post about this so here's a update

for all you KISS fans, peter's ludwig kit he used with KISS in the early days is up for auction as well as alot of other music memorabilia.

Current Bid for peter's ludwig kit: $29,282.00. yikes!!

there's alot of crazy prices going on. from mick mars' guitar to randy rhoads leather coat.

and i'm a happy camper too. my alex van halen bass drum head is approching $900.

and my other items are going well too (the kit is not mine) too bad its all going to pay the bills!

http://www.backstageauctions.com/catalog/1332-kiss-peter-criss-1973---1974-original-1st-kiss-drum-kit/ai/0/18996/

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Wow - I did not know he ever played Ludwigs! My history of KISS started with the ALIVE album in 1975.

MileHighDrummer

That's the difference between musicians and collectors. As a musician, a drum kit is an assembly of tools. I would never pay a penny more for a used kit than necessary. Collectors, on the other hand, think about things from a different mental perspective. For me that price is 5 or 6 kits - not a used kit. I wouldn't pay a fraction of that for anyone's used kit.

WhoIsTony?

Wow - I did not know he ever played Ludwigs! My history of KISS started with the ALIVE album in 1975.
thats where mine started as well

my understanding is that Peter played some Slingerland, a few Ludwig kits before settling with Pearl then ending up with DW

I was a huge Kiss fan as a kid and getting to know Peter a bit during the recording sessions for the Detroit Rock City movie in the late 90s I was amazed to find out how much he loved Gene Krupa and that he had studied with Gene

it was also sad to sit and watch Peter struggle through recording the tracks due to pain in his hands and him needing to take very frequent breaks to have therapy and have his hands massaged

anyway.....anyone who would pay that much for that kit is in my mind completely insane.... but there was a second or two when I saw this listing a week ago or so that my heart kind of jumped and I thought about having it.... then I quickly came to my senses

I love Peters playing on the first 4 records... KISS, Hotter than Hell, Dressed To Kill , and ALIVE!.....I fell his playing started suffering after that due to drugs and booze depending on which stories you want to believe ..... I guess that is why guys like Anton Fig started getting called in to play on Kiss records

I remember as a kid listening to side 4 of ALIVE II ... the studio recorded side with Rocket Ride and Larger Than Life.....and thinking .... wow that doesn't sound like Peter at all...... only to find out some years later that it was not Peter at all

I still love KISS but mostly for nostalgic reasons

Last edited:

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
I see the auction is over, and the link to pics doesn't work.

Here is some footage of the Ludwigs in action.

The video says 1975, but I am pretty sure it is 1974 at Winterland. B&W.

http://youtu.be/bsueHOaiY4U

And a Dick Clark TV concert, in color.

http://youtu.be/bF-jjaBMHcw
It's Jan 31 1975, so not far off. Winterland Ballroom San Francisco. That same year I think he made the transition to Pearl concert tom kit.

/DW resident KISStorian

Stroman

Platinum Member
It's Jan 31 1975, so not far off. Winterland Ballroom San Francisco. That same year I think he made the transition to Pearl concert tom kit.

/DW resident KISStorian
That's what I suspected, lol! It was simply after midnight at the New Year's show. :)