Pete Cater on Big Band drumming

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
This is excellent. Cinder block walls, hard wood floors, no dampening on the drums and they sound great. This is how drums sounded when I was growing up. None of the muffling, sound "engineers" EQ'ing everything to make all drums sound like they think we want them to sound, just great drums with RESONANCE. Explanations were clear enough that even this Yank could understand. Cheers to you Sir for your great work. Now where is my drum key. I will be copying this sound and that dead, DW no resonance sound can be gone. OK, I feel better.

Pete Cater

This is excellent. Cinder block walls, hard wood floors, no dampening on the drums and they sound great. This is how drums sounded when I was growing up. None of the muffling, sound "engineers" EQ'ing everything to make all drums sound like they think we want them to sound, just great drums with RESONANCE. Explanations were clear enough that even this Yank could understand. Cheers to you Sir for your great work. Now where is my drum key. I will be copying this sound and that dead, DW no resonance sound can be gone. OK, I feel better.
Thanks for that, I'm pleased you could understand what I was saying! Yes sir, wide open natural sounding drums in an acoustically bright room works for me every time. Since this stuff was recorded (January 15) I've also had the opportunity to experiment with studio mic placement to get a similar sort of sound in a less bright environment. Two overheads carefully placed and a condenser mic about 20 inches from the bass drum.

https://www.facebook.com/richard.brook.92/videos/vob.571450625/10156020559960626/?type=2&theater

drumbent

Pete, as a fellow Big Band drummer I truly enjoyed your videos. Each section was well thought out and nicely stated. Anyone considering doing this kind of music, or are already at it, can learn much from your info.

I'm the drummer for the Ottawa Jazz Orchestra (Canada). I get to play a bit of everyone: Krupa, Greer, Mel Lewis, even some Art Blakey for our small group stuff. My hardest one by far was the Buddy Rich "West Side Story", what a sweat! There are some audio clips (alas, not of this last tune) on the Media page at http://ottawajazzorchestra.com.

Regards, and keep swinging!
Mark

bradyvictor117

Pete, as a fellow Big Band drummer I truly enjoyed your videos. Each section was well thought out and nicely stated. Anyone considering doing this kind of music, or are already at it, can learn much from your info.

I'm the drummer for the Ottawa Jazz Orchestra (Canada). I get to play a bit of everyone: Krupa, Greer, Mel Lewis, even some Art Blakey for our small group stuff. My hardest one by far was the Buddy Rich "West Side Story", what a sweat! There are some audio clips (alas, not of this last tune) on the Media page at

Mark
Hi! drumbent you media page is not working at my side any other source to see your stuff ?

Last edited:

Pete Cater

I'm the drummer for the Ottawa Jazz Orchestra (Canada). I get to play a bit of everyone: Krupa, Greer, Mel Lewis, even some Art Blakey for our small group stuff. My hardest one by far was the Buddy Rich "West Side Story", what a sweat! There are some audio clips (alas, not of this last tune) on the Media page at http://ottawajazzorchestra.com.

Mark
Thanks very much. Always good to hear from a fellow practitioner! You keep swinging too!

Mount Saint Elle'ns

Silver Member
These are great videos. I am quite new to drumming, and I love Big Band, so I will be watching these segments many times. Perhaps in a few weeks I will at least get the tuning part right. ;) Thanks for the inspiration!

Pete Cater

These are great videos. I am quite new to drumming, and I love Big Band, so I will be watching these segments many times. Perhaps in a few weeks I will at least get the tuning part right. ;) Thanks for the inspiration!
My pleasure. Thank you!

drumbent

Hi! drumbent you media page is not working at my side any other source to see your stuff ?
I don't why it doesn't work for you (I don't manage the website), but of course make sure you don't have an extension such as NoScript or AdBlock getting in the way of things.

On YouTube I have a clip of our small Big Band (13 pieces) playing at a dance. I'm on brushes the whole time just playing the groove but the tune is up-tempo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CxKo1tCuLw

There's also a vid of the full band on Facebook but the sharing settings are limited. I'll see if I can get the original and get it on YouTube.

And sorry for temporarily highjacking the thread about Pete!

Mark