Percussion emulates lyrics

DrWorm

I often see a lot of talk on these boards about how the drum part should serve the music and I agree with that sentiment. Sometimes it's even taken quite literally. You know that part in Sultans of Swing when the lyrics say something about a time bell ringing then the guitar and drums have a small flourish - almost as if the bell just went off in the middle of their song? The other example I can come up with is from Bohemian Rhapsody right after the lyric 'sent shivers down my spine' some chime like sounds lend the audio to the mental image created by the words. I'm just curious to know what examples you all might be aware of.

D

drumfreak1987

"cosmik debris" by frank zappa… "loooook here brotha…. who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" lol, check that tune out, its cool

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
In Queensryche's hit "Silent Lucidity" as the line "Come tumbling down" is sung, there is a descending tom fill that sounds like drums "tumbling" down.

Both AC/DC's "Hell's Bells" and Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls" start with the sound of a big bell.

In Alice in Chains' song "The Roster" the bridge features a military style drum march behind the lyrics "Walkin' tall machine gun man", which given the song is about a military veteran, is rather appropriate.