Pearl Export

grunta57

I hope this thread is still alive!! Loved reading your comments! I'm a bit of a gray a nice set of Pearl Export Pros and se hat e can do with them ....The shells are nice I use a lot of epoxy sealer etc and sandpaper but I can get hem sounding better than more modern kits such as my Tama Starclasscs. I also had a Tama Rockstar which I reckon had a beautiful tone and had nice mahogany in the shell. Tuning bearing edge improvements and nice heads makes it a really good kit for typically less than $300 US ... Keep drumming the Exports lads and lasses

grunta57

I hope this thread is still alive!! Loved reading your comments! I'm a bit of buy a nice set of Pearl Export Pros and see what I can do with them ....The shells are nice I use a lot of epoxy sealer etc and sandpaper but I can get them sounding better than more modern kits such as my Tama Starclasscs. I also had a Tama Rockstar which I reckon had a beautiful tone and had nice mahogany in the shell. Tuning bearing edge improvements and nice heads makes it a really good kit for typically less than $300 US ... Keep drumming the Exports lads and lasses

I've never tried the Pearl Export 8-Piece but as far as the bashing of Export Series Drums. . .I've owned my Pearl EXR Series kit for a few years now and love the sound and feel of the kit. I find poplar to have a sound similar to birch shells, but there's still a distinct difference that I just can't put my finger on. However, all drums. . .even from the same company, in the same series, and made out of the same materials are gonna have a different sound and feel. My recommendation is to find a drum shop close to you which has the kit and try it out. Only way you can know. One guys cup of tea is another guys tequila? I tried and failed with the whole analogy thing. . .but I'm sure you get the point.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I was fairly impressed with the quality of the 2014 Exports. They've added a layer of mahogany and are available in lacquer finishes. I thought that the 800 series bundled hardware was nice as well.

It's nice to see Pearl finally come up with a competitive offering to Yamaha's Stage Custom.

SlitYourDrums

My buddy has been using an Export his whole drumming career and he likes it. I have used it on multiple occasions and I would be fine using it. I would get a Stage Custom over it. Birch > poplar imo.

pearlygates

Gold Member
The new Export series is decent... A tad dry for my taste, but for the money you get a pretty nice set up.
The 830 hardware (with a hard nod to the included 930 single demonator pedal.)
...that comes packaged with the kit... to me seals the deal on a beginner set up that you could beat up in the clubs as well and probably get some good mileage with.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
The new Export series is decent... A tad dry for my taste, but for the money you get a pretty nice set up.
That "dry" sound you speak of is the only thing I don't like about the Exports, and the only reason I sold mine. They are well made drums, and the hardware package is outstanding. And Pearl is one of the companies that still do chrome right - it's very deep. I just could not get the sustain out of the Export toms that I like - the "dry" quality you mention. This is just the ticket for many drummers, though, and is one of the qualities that make people like them.

GeeDeeEmm

I have a 06 elx kit that I gig and practice with. It's not dry at all. I have a emad 2 with emad reso, and 360 ec2 clear batters and g1s reso's on toms. This particular kit has a great sound.

I have owned at least 4 older exports and I prefer the older ones because I find they sound better. Nothing against the new ones.

I took off the Iss mounts and picked up some used optimounts for both of the 12 & 13 rack toms.

Some drummers claim that the opti's deaden the sound but if you mount them so they float (not tight to the lug casings it makes a noticeable difference in sound quality.

For the money Exports are fine workhorse drums. I also own a maple MLX.

It wouldn't be fair to compare the 2 kits sound wise but for my needs it works just fine. That being said my local GC has a absolutely beautiful Mapex Orion shell pack (used but in great condition for $800.00. Dang! why do these deals come around when I'm broke ! Oh well the GAS syndrome is raging again!

beanothedrummer

Hello there,
Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm trying to find out a pearl export i recent purchased.

I think it's a early 90s kit (12x10, 13x11, 14x12, 16x16 & 22x18)

But like to know what the shells are made of?

Any of you guys can help me out with a little info? :)

Attachments

pearlygates

Gold Member
Does the kit have 3 pc. long lugs? Looks like the inner ply of the shell in the pic could be birch and if so, your kit is probably a 1990-1992
9ply lay up; 8 plies of luan mahogany and a single inner ply of birch. Great sounding kits!

beanothedrummer

Yeah it's a 3 piece lug. Just did a quick Google and seems like the 90s lugs.

Thanks for the info on the shell composition.

It's the chrome wrap, just need a good clean and it'll be ready to rock.

Thanks again pearlygates 😀

Brian

Gold Member
I picked up some used Pearl Exports a few months back. I've always wanted to own a beater drum set and they were $200, but in good shape. Probably early 2000's. I'm not even sure the depths but they are definitely on the deeper end. 10 12 13 16 22, no snare.

I put on some clear Emperor over clear Ambassador heads and tuned to a low-medium, they sound okay. My problem is they just fall flat when tuned outside of that range. Also, they tend to sound flat and feel a bit unresponsive, even when tuned appropriately or in that "sweet spot" I can find.

:/

pearlygates

Gold Member
Yeah it's a 3 piece lug. Just did a quick Google and seems like the 90s lugs.

Thanks for the info on the shell composition.

It's the chrome wrap, just need a good clean and it'll be ready to rock.

Thanks again pearlygates 😀
My pleasure! Rock em hard my friend. I had the same kit a few years back in white and they sounded pretty darn good!

Frosticles

Silver Member
Used a set of Exports I bought new in 1989 for 26 years. Loved them & they did get used & abused on tour a lot. Never once let me down & if fitted with good heads & tuned properly sound great :)

beanothedrummer

Just need to find a 10 inch Tom in mirror chrome and in all set 😀

Possibly a 14x14 floor Tom on legs too.
Anyone know if they were even produced in them sizes?

pearlygates

Gold Member
Just need to find a 10 inch Tom in mirror chrome and in all set 😀

Possibly a 14x14 floor Tom on legs too.
Anyone know if they were even produced in them sizes?
Yep.. should be good to go on those sizes,.. 10x8 and 14x14 should be available.. check ebay often.

drumandpace

The Export-talk on the internet never stops, and that's why I took the time and wrote a review on that set. (I play it in my band's rehearsal room.)

And because this thread still shows up very prominently when googling for Export reviews, I hope it's okay to share mine here for all those people who come through the search engines.

JustJames

Platinum Member
The Export-talk on the internet never stops, and that's why I took the time and wrote a review on that set. (I play it in my band's rehearsal room.)

And because this thread still shows up very prominently when googling for Export reviews, I hope it's okay to share mine here for all those people who come through the search engines.
Looser?

Seriously.

Looser?

Looser.

Means "more loose".

Sorry mate, but that's as far as I got in your review.

If you're going to set yourself up as an authority, start with checking that the words you're using mean what you think they mean.