PDP Concept (Birch or Maple) vs Gretsch Catalina Club Classic

Eddie_Ramirez

I know both brands use totally differerent woods. I've just been searching for info on their quality but I can't find much about that comparison.
I'm just lookin something with a 20" kick, 4 piece. But between those two, which is better made?

Thanks for taking some time to reply.

Defender

Silver Member
When I was searching for material for my acoustic drum purchase last year, I scoured craigslist and these forums and several other forums. It seemed to come down towards personal choice, however, the scale was definitely tipped in PDP's favor. So that's who I went with. I got the 7 piece maple Concept from Guitar Center at a rock bottom holiday price and I've truly loved them since the day I bought them.

The only configuration I've seen these in is either a 7 piece 8,10,12,14,16, 22,14 in the maple or the same in the birch minus the 8. The general consensus seems to be, go the a store that has both and try them both out and buy the one that sounds best to you, keeping in mind that you may have to do some tuning while you're there.

Good Luck, Defender

Eddie_Ramirez

When I was searching for material for my acoustic drum purchase last year, I scoured craigslist and these forums and several other forums. It seemed to come down towards personal choice, however, the scale was definitely tipped in PDP's favor. So that's who I went with. I got the 7 piece maple Concept from Guitar Center at a rock bottom holiday price and I've truly loved them since the day I bought them.

The only configuration I've seen these in is either a 7 piece 8,10,12,14,16, 22,14 in the maple or the same in the birch minus the 8. The general consensus seems to be, go the a store that has both and try them both out and buy the one that sounds best to you, keeping in mind that you may have to do some tuning while you're there.

Good Luck, Defender

Thanks for the advice... the bad thing is that I don't have a store near me. So I'm just trying to gather as much information about those kits as I can.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I know both brands use totally differerent woods. I've just been searching for info on their quality but I can't find much about that comparison.
I'm just lookin something with a 20" kick, 4 piece. But between those two, which is better made?

Thanks for taking some time to reply.
Eddie, I have a maple PDP set and am totally stoked at how good it sounds. Construction is excellent and the hardware is as good as parent company DW, without the higher price tag. Gretsch Catalina is good but personally I'd say PDP is a better value for the buck. Again as everyone will tell you, the bottom line is your ears.

Eddie_Ramirez

Eddie, I have a maple PDP set and am totally stoked at how good it sounds. Construction is excellent and the hardware is as good as parent company DW, without the higher price tag. Gretsch Catalina is good but personally I'd say PDP is a better value for the buck. Again as everyone will tell you, the bottom line is your ears.
Thanks John!... sounds like a pro kit then. Is it birch or maple?

KamaK

Platinum Member
@OP. It looks like you have a $700 budget. The name of the game is to get the most drum for the least amount of money. Don't get hung up on brands and lines, and focus on getting the best drums in the sizes and style that you like.

I also implore you to look at what's available used. For example, If I hit GC and list the $500-700 used inventory, I see renowns, pork-pies, session customs, masters, etc. There's some beautiful kits there.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-Sets-Acoustic-Drums,Used-Gear.gc?extup=500-700&ipp=25

Eddie_Ramirez

I was also considering a jungle kit like the sonor select force maple... but I don't know if a 16x16 bass drum could work. The idea is to play a little bit of everything, maybe not metal o jazz but more like pop, rock, fusion, latin... etc... and being portable still.