Paradiddles over samba ostinato

Hello Everyone

In this video I am playing single, inward and reverse paradiddle with hands, while my feet are playing an ostinato/pattern samba

Fill free to comment and share!!!

Hope you enjoy
Thx

Mario Borrelli

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQzyLgUNT8I

I do this exercise every once in a while and was feeling good about it. Watching you do it, I now see some spots where I'm getting the feel wrong. Thank you!

I do the same exercise with the 4 double stroke variations (RRLL / RLLR / LLRR / LRRL) . Do you happen to do the same?

Oh this is right up my alley. I will be working on these. Thank you.

Nice.

I've been doing a samba ostinato for years as a solo. What you're doing is cool. Next step is to be able to play all sticking permutations over it while still playing 16th notes with the hands.

Then 8th notes and 32nd notes.

Then, if you want to go nuts you can play the rhythm scale over it, this gets polyrhythmic.

8th note triplets phrased as paradiddles (or any groups of 4) are an incredible tool for getting that "playing out" feel.

Good luck, the polyrhythmic stuff will make you tear your hair out at first but it's awesome once you get it.

FYI, this methodology I just explained is right out of Marco Minneman's Extreme Interdependence.

Hello guys thanks for your comments and I am glad you like the video!
Samba ostinato with paradiddles is the basic of independence ostinato, In my opinion there many different ways to play exercises over ostinatos.

I used to play pag 5/6/7 of Stick control over samba - bajon - paradiddle - double paradiddle - double stroke - 4 stroke ostinatos with feet.

Here's another video a little bit more difficult, paradiddles over single paradiddle ostinato.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mccrhnv0Kuw

let me know your thoughts
Thx
Mario

Hello guys thanks for your comments and I am glad you like the video!
Samba ostinato with paradiddles is the basic of independence ostinato, In my opinion there many different ways to play exercises over ostinatos.

I used to play pag 5/6/7 of Stick control over samba - bajon - paradiddle - double paradiddle - double stroke - 4 stroke ostinatos with feet.

Here's another video a little bit more difficult, paradiddles over single paradiddle ostinato.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mccrhnv0Kuw

let me know your thoughts
Thx
Mario

This is a great exercise too. I can't say it's the first I've seen it. This exact exercise was posted by Lindsayanne Artkop here maybe a few months ago. I already got this one down. I like the samba one. I will try double paras over the samba after I get down what you posted. Independence exercises to me are the most fun because the physical part is easy. It's the separation of limbs in the mind where I need the work. Plus I find them fun when I know what I want to play, but can't. That's a challenge that isn't too great for me. So thanks for these, and if you have any more independence exercises, I for one would like to see them.

Hello Everyone

In this video I am playing single, inward and reverse paradiddle with hands, while my feet are playing an ostinato/pattern samba

Fill free to comment and share!!!

Hope you enjoy
Thx

Mario Borrelli

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQzyLgUNT8I

Love it! This type of groove has been on my mind for a while and I couldn't put it together until I watched your video and transcript. Now I'm off and running with the paradiddles combo and the resulting coordination gains are being cemented in for future permutations.

So it took me about 20 minutes but I can do paras over the samba rhythm now. I haven't tried the inversions yet, I want to stay where I am for a few more days until I can start it correctly without thinking.

Independence exercises are like a barrel of monkeys full o' fun.

Next step is to do all the hand stuff with the Cuban tumbae on the kick. Much more difficult but yet so rewarding.
(&of 2 and 4 on the kick . 1 and 3 on the hat . Then switch the hat to 2 and 4)

Back