Over-confidence?

I've been thinking about over-confidence recently. It seems particularly common on YouTube. You might know what I'm talking about: you want to play a song, so you go on YT to see if someone else has played it, and find a bunch of videos. So you click through them, and they're all the same: some guy who kind of gets the drum part, has clearly practiced and practiced it, but who doesn't REALLY get it. The rolls are a little off, or timing isn't right, or something is just obviously wrong. But the guy plays it and looks at the camera with a big crap-eating grin on his face like he's just nailing it.

I don't want to link any videos because that would just seem like picking on people. But this attitude always irritates me. They had to film that video, then watch it a couple of times to edit and dress it up. They never noticed?

Drums are part of a musical enterprise. If you can't listen to the end product and hear when you're messing up, you're not actually playing music.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Confidence is a potent thing. Too much and it blows up in your face. Humbleness is the only true learning environment. That said, you need a certain critical amount of confidence to play drums effectively. Any more creates the asshole effect lol.

M

Matt Bo Eder

This is why I've taken the direction of not showing my face in any of my latest videos ;)

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
... some guy who kind of gets the drum part, has clearly practiced and practiced it, but who doesn't REALLY get it. The rolls are a little off, or timing isn't right, or something is just obviously wrong. But the guy plays it and looks at the camera with a big crap-eating grin on his face like he's just nailing it.

I don't want to link any videos because that would just seem like picking on people. But this attitude always irritates me. They had to film that video, then watch it a couple of times to edit and dress it up. They never noticed?

Drums are part of a musical enterprise. If you can't listen to the end product and hear when you're messing up, you're not actually playing music.

Its all your interpretation really.

I believe most of the examples you mention don't claim to be 'note for note', just ppl doing what they can, their version so to speak. They're doing it more for the fun of accomplishment, not as a recital, that's how I see it anyway.

If you're looking for the workings of a drum part on YT, watching a bunch of examples is golden actually, someone usually gets some part(s) correct, and their camera angle can be the missing piece of the puzzle you need sometimes.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member

I think it's less a question of confidence, than about not having a clue about what works. Inexperienced players don't really have a discretionary sense of what they sound like in the real world where they post their videos. A lot of them never really get it and, as a result, are guaranteed to not be playing music as a career.

Confidence itself is not bad though. A plain-looking girl or guy with confidence and a great personality may be very attractive as a person. Of course the reality is, they're still plain-looking. Same with a drummer - they may be fun to watch, they may be having a great time, and their confidence shines through. But that doesn't mean they're actually any good.

Bermuda

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Exactly. That "crap eating look" on their face may not be anything other than them having fun and we know that isn't allowed.

Exactly. That "crap eating look" on their face may not be anything other than them having fun and we know that isn't allowed.
That may be true. I was in a pretty sour mood when the thought hit me. But I think it's also fair to be a little critical, because these were some tough songs I was looking up. They aren't all technically ridiculous but they require a real sense of taste and musicality to nail (which is why nobody covers them!)

2underpar

Silver Member
This is why I've taken the direction of not showing my face in any of my latest videos ;)
I'm with Bo on this one. You all don't need to see my face. I think YouTube has a way of filtering out the bad from the good. If for some reason you are getting more thumbs down than ups then maybe it's time to take another look at your video. It's happened to me and it was a bit humbling but sometimes the truth hurts but also make you work harder.

FYI, on the same note I was just getting ready to post another drum cover series in the my place section. Bad or good. Who am I to judge, but I'm not cringing when I play it back.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
"Drums are part of a musical enterprise. If you can't listen to the end product and hear when you're messing up, you're not actually playing music."

I don't agree with this either. One doesn't have to play a song note for note to be playing music. Bands on tour don't play note for note of their own songs night after night.

There's a popular youtube drummer who flails his arms like crazy, does a stick trick every 2 beats, and sounds really terrible.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
There's a popular youtube drummer who flails his arms like crazy, does a stick trick every 2 beats, and sounds really terrible.
I sincerely hope you're not talking about my friend and fellow Ludwig artist Steve "The Mad Drummer" Moore (aka "Drummer at the wrong gig".) Steve is actually a great player - I defy anyone to flail like him and still sound perfectly normal at the same time.

FYI, he and the band were doing the bit long before the internet audience 'discovered' him on YouTube. he even had a DVD out prior to his YouTube exposure.

Bermuda

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
Confidence is a potent thing. Too much and it blows up in your face. Humbleness is the only true learning environment. That said, you need a certain critical amount of confidence to play drums effectively. Any more creates the asshole effect lol.
Assholes make the best drummers !! Read 'em and weep.

basset52

Having watched you play your new drums via a short clip recently I don't reckon you have anything to worry about Bo. If I could play like you I would be well pleased with myself!