Ouch!

gretschdrum

I was just laying down a groove the other day when somehow I whacked my left hand with the stick in my right hand!! I've got a nice bruise now. Anyone else do that?

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
It has happen to me in the past, but not recently, touch wood :)

Amazing how hard we hit these drums isn't it? You'll never guess until you hit yourself, ...Ouch! indeed.

Anduin

Pioneer Member
I think it’s a rite of passage for all drummers. As is the next step up: cutting your knuckles on a rim or a cymbal and ending up with a kit covered in wee red dots.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I was just laying down a groove the other day when somehow I whacked my left hand with the stick in my right hand!! I've got a nice bruise now. Anyone else do that?
Because I play open, that sort of thing is pretty rare with me. It seems like crossing your hands over is just asking for trouble. But I've whacked myself in the face and 'nads before.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
This post reminded me how I used to injure myself when I first started playing in bands. I have not done that for a long time. Peace and goodwill.

wsabol

Gold Member
I used to do that all the time. I also used to overshoot the center of the drum a bit and rimshot with my knuckles. It was a big problem on my floor tom. Blood spatters all over my drum head. It was awesome, haha.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Im sure every drummer who's played awhile has hit themselves at one time or another.

On par with 'stand bites'- when a collapsing stand catches some of your skin, that can hurt like 'ell.

And what about catching the tip of your stick between the HH cymbals?

The beater getting caught in your pant leg.

The one I do most is hit the center of the cymbal, the wing nut. The whole cymbal as a target and you hit it dead center, the smallest spot where it makes no noise. Too much golf game.