Orange County Drums

_Mark

I've been trying to contact OCDP about pricing up a kit, but I can't get a response.
I even know a guy who endorses them, and they won't even answer him.
I've tried calling many times, and sent many emails. Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks!
Mark

eamesuser

Silver Member
In the last year or so I have heard they were not doing well with answering inquiries,or delivering custom kits,guitar center is offering pre configured kits from OCDP,apparently they are getting product,but these kits may be the imports they are issuing under their name,but maybe GC could tell you what is going on.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Unfortunately, It doesn't look good for OCDP.
It seems that they are in trouble. At least that is the talk on the drumming street.
I think that you should look elsewhere for your drums.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Poor OCDP. Another casualty in our bad economy. Perhaps if they marketed themselves to a more adult market. For some reason, pictures of some clown with make-up on did not make me want to associate with their product. Besides, the money isn't where the kids are - it's where the working adults are! Sucks, I know, but true.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
It is to bad BO, because their drums are nice.
I have played several of their kits during the past few years.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
It is to bad BO, because their drums are nice.
I have played several of their kits during the past few years.
I understand they're nice drums. I just couldn't get past the clowns (and I mean that literally - I forget who GC used last....). Shame on me, I guess. It must be my age....

aedrummin4life

I absolutely love orange county drums. They are innovative and very creative. Id hate to see them go down the drain. It would be terrible. So many artists use Orange County kits. Not only do they look good, but they sound great. Very Punchy...which for me is something I prefer. If anyone hears anything please post! And I cant see why their customer service is bad...weird.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
maybe the guitar center kits are fine, but after reading that blog i would be really careful about ordering a custom drum kit from them.
The GC kits are Taiwanese, and promoting Travis Barker behind them is akin to Pearl picturing Chad Smith with his signature kit, I think the very cheapest thing Pearl offers.

The buzz in the biz is that OCDP downsized their facility a year or two ago, and their output of US-made drums is down to a trickle. Every company (and retailer) was hit hard by the recent economy, and OC already had an extremely niche appeal. I mean, how many times have you seen an OC kit on a straight rock, pop, jazz, country, latin, blues, big band or r&b gig?

Anyway, times are tough for them in terms of the US drums, and who knows how GC is doing with the licensed name on the Taiwanese gear? It obviously means some cash for OCDP, but how much/little?

Bermuda

bermuda

Staff member
I just checked their web site, and have heard of exactly 3 of the artists/bands listed. They still show Chad Sexton from 311, even though he went to Pearl last year.

I'm not saying that we should judge a company by who does or doesn't use the drums, but the fact that more pros don't use OCDP is a sign of something... no?

Sorry, I'm not trying to slam the company, these are just observations. It's not as if OC is brand new and nobody's heard of them.

Bermuda

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
I just checked their web site, and have heard of exactly 3 of the artists/bands listed. They still show Chad Sexton from 311, even though he went to Pearl last year.

I'm not saying that we should judge a company by who does or doesn't use the drums, but the fact that more pros don't use OCDP is a sign of something... no?

Sorry, I'm not trying to slam the company, these are just observations. It's not as if OC is brand new and nobody's heard of them.

Bermuda
I don't think anyone would accuse you of judging, you're pointing out the obvious....doesn't look good for OCDP. GC will probably drop them soon enough.

bermuda

Staff member
I don't think anyone would accuse you of judging, you're pointing out the obvious....doesn't look good for OCDP. GC will probably drop them soon enough.
Well, sometimes I get called out on what I say because I'm a pro or endorse a competing company or whatever, whereas someone else saying the same thing is perfectly acceptable.

Bermuda

droveto

If you're serious about purchasing them, I can get you a quote. I have a direct phone number. Send me a PM with the model and sizes you're looking for.
As far as what people are saying here about OCDP, I have to agree with them in that there are probably more durable kits that will have better customer support if you ever need them. On the other hand, not that much can go wrong with a drum set so you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Alexey

I ordered a custom snare in April. I paid 50% deposit, and was hoping to get my drum in July. But now it is November and I still waiting... They don't respond to my letters and calls.
I don't know what to do...
I would be grateful if someone could help me or at least something to advise.

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Unfortunately there is really nothing that you can do.
If the company that you gave a deposit to is bankrupt, that means that you are not the only one that they owe money to.
Most people never see a deposit returned by a belly up company.

Alexey

Unfortunately there is really nothing that you can do.
If the company that you gave a deposit to is bankrupt, that means that you are not the only one that they owe money to.
Most people never see a deposit returned by a belly up company.
It's sad!... Really sad...

dairyairman

Platinum Member
are they actually bankrupt? i was under the impression that they're in trouble but not quite bankrupt yet. i don't know.