Opinions on practice material

Fishbones

Silver Member
Hey everyone,
I've recently been questioning my practicing habits. I usually get a chance to practice individually about 4 hours a day with gigs on average 3-4 days a week and rehearsals with bands also 3 to 4 days a week. I spend time playing by myself and practicing grooves with a click, but I spend a lot of the time playing along to music on my ipod. Do you guys believe that playing along to a click or playing along to music is more important? I divide my time evenly, but I was wondering what your opinions were. Thanks!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Hey everyone,
I've recently been questioning my practicing habits. I usually get a chance to practice individually about 4 hours a day with gigs on average 3-4 days a week and rehearsals with bands also 3 to 4 days a week. I spend time playing by myself and practicing grooves with a click, but I spend a lot of the time playing along to music on my ipod. Do you guys believe that playing along to a click or playing along to music is more important? I divide my time evenly, but I was wondering what your opinions were. Thanks!
Only thing I would add is don't forget straight rudiment practice.

Also, you can have the best of both worlds. I've found quite a few music tracks online that have no drums, and clicks applied, I find it wonderful to be able to practice something musical to a click which I fond much more applicable to real world playing than simply lining up regular grooves to a click by myself.

Anyhoo, I think you're on the right track. Divide your time and try not to neglect any aspect of your playing while you practice!