Opinions needed on a possible gear change

AFE87

Hello:

After owning my 2001 Tama Starclassic Performer (MIJ) for quite some time, my tastes have changed due to my experiences. In short:

1) I'm tired of 18x22 bass drums. Too trendy IMO. Some of my favorite sounds have come from 20"s with less muffling for a shorter but natural sound. 18x22's can be hard to transport, and I also like having my toms lower.

2) I wish I had standard depth floor toms with legs. My 11x14 and 13x16 just don't have the 'oomph' of deeper models even when tuned well with single ply heads and minimal moongel use.

I could basically try and acquire a 20" matching Dark Cherry Fade bass drum, but this has proven to be difficult and potentially expensive. Tama has stopped special order production on SCP's, so my options would be to order a B/B 18x20 or a SCM MIJ 16x20. I realistically don't have the cash for either of those at the moment. It would take a miracle to find a matching SCP 20" at this point.

Another option is to trade in for something new with improved sizing. I've been eying a new Gretsch Renown with a 20" bd at a shop that specializes in trades and used/vintage gear. They've knocked down the price to $1245 since it's been sitting around for a while. I just wonder if the following exchange for the Renown would be a good deal (I would eventually add on another floor tom and an 8" since Gretsch will honor those speical orders until 2015):

Tama SCP in Dark Cherry Fade (2001 unless noted)
7x8 (2009)
8x10
9x12
11x14
13x16 (2007)
16x18 (2009, also meant to double as a bop bass drum)
18x22

Any chiming in from Renown owners and other seasoned gear-heads would be greatly appreciated! I might just let the whole issue go, but I figured I'd at least bring it up here.Thanks!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I get wanting a different set of drums just for different sizes and not being able to simply order the different drum. I'm having a bit of an issue with that myself. I haven't bought a drum since 2001, and it's an itch that wants to get scratched.

But at the same time, I'd rather just order some different sizes that matched my existing kits rather than the expense of a whole different kit. Even with a trade in, you're bound to lose some value.

But size choices are largely personal.

The Renown is a good drum.

If it makes you happier, go for it.

bigiainw

Gold Member
I doubt you'll be happy with the new drums either. I have never noticed any greater oomph from a drum because it has an extra couple of inches of depth- if that were the case we would all still be using power toms. I'm not sure what your idea of oomph is, but I would have thought that if you're looking for bottom end that a 2 ply head might be a better choice. I have 14x12 and 16x14 floors with emperors over ambassadors and they have all the bottom end oomph you'll ever need, tuned low (but not JAW low, I like a bit of tone too)with no damping of any kind.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
When performing a gear change, make sure to push the clutch in all the way.

I'm glad I could help.

opentune

Platinum Member
Hello:

1) I'm tired of 18x22 bass drums. Too trendy IMO.
IMO 'trendy' (or not), is not a reason to completely change a drum kit.
You're after sound and feel I hope, or maybe just plain yearn for different sound in your head.
You mentioned 'minimal moongel'. Maybe your floor toms are too moongelled? Did you try without any moongel.

The Renown sounds like a nice fit (though most stock Renowns I see have the 18 x 22). I am a big fan of 20 inch bass drums, for transport and the punchy sound ...

BGH

Gold Member
I doubt you'll be happy with the new drums either. I have never noticed any greater oomph from a drum because it has an extra couple of inches of depth- if that were the case we would all still be using power toms. I'm not sure what your idea of oomph is, but I would have thought that if you're looking for bottom end that a 2 ply head might be a better choice. I have 14x12 and 16x14 floors with emperors over ambassadors and they have all the bottom end oomph you'll ever need, tuned low (but not JAW low, I like a bit of tone too)with no damping of any kind.
I agree with this. I have kits with standard floors and kits with stand mounted. I like the stand mounted just as well and maybe more than the floors. I also use emperors over ambassadors and no muffling. I think with some tuning work and head replacements, you could make your toms work for you. In that event, you could look for a smaller kick to add.

On the other hand, if you just really want something new and want to trade your kit, see what kind of deal you can work out. You never know til you ask.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I just wonder if the following exchange for the Renown would be a good deal
You're trading all those used Tama's and how many Renowns will you be getting back?

Since the Renowns are new, you must be getting what, a 4 piece shell pack with the Renowns? For 7 used Tama's? Financially it's not he best deal in the world, a 5 piece would much better, but if it makes you happier....

So what does the Renown set consist of?

AFE87

Now that I've run this by you guys, I've come to the conclusion that I should just be patient and either:

1) Buy used or NOS matching 20" bass drum if it appears

OR

2) Save my pennies and order a matching 20" drum (preferably a MIJ SCM 16x20)

Thanks for all of your opinions on this- I needed to run it by other drummers to see if I was crazy or not for thinking about this. I agree that trading in 7 Tama SCP's doesn't really equate to only a 4 pc Renown shell pack, and I will try some emperors on my floor toms to see if that helps at all (I've been a coated ambassador fan all my life). Although I won't go through with it now, I still want to be sure if I could only get a 4pc renown out of the trade- just for my own reference. Thanks again!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I like Gretsch renowns but you have a made in Japan set of top of the line Tama Starclassic there.Hold on to them because the're some of the best drums Tama ever made.

Just check Ebay,CL and Guitar center used gear from time to tme.Finding a single drum might be difficult but not impossible.

Ordering a single bass drum from Tama will be very costly.Starclassic maples are now made in China and not Japan.The only line made in the Japan factory is the new Star line.

Steve B

BGH

Gold Member
Now that I've run this by you guys, I've come to the conclusion that I should just be patient and either:

1) Buy used or NOS matching 20" bass drum if it appears

OR

2) Save my pennies and order a matching 20" drum (preferably a MIJ SCM 16x20)

Thanks for all of your opinions on this- I needed to run it by other drummers to see if I was crazy or not for thinking about this. I agree that trading in 7 Tama SCP's doesn't really equate to only a 4 pc Renown shell pack, and I will try some emperors on my floor toms to see if that helps at all (I've been a coated ambassador fan all my life). Although I won't go through with it now, I still want to be sure if I could only get a 4pc renown out of the trade- just for my own reference. Thanks again!
Maybe you could have a shop such as Precision Drum Co make a matching 16x20 for you. If they can't match the finish, you might be able to come up with someone who does that kind of finish work in your area.

A

audiotech

Ordering a single bass drum from Tama will be very costly.Starclassic maples are now made in China and not Japan.The only line made in the Japan factory is the new Star line.

Steve B
Unless this has changed in the recent past, you can still order add on drums to match, (if they still manufacture that specific finish), your Japan made Starclassic Maple line from Japan. What you said about being very expensive is true.

Dennis

AFE87

The official verdict I received on the Tama forum was that MIJ SCM's can still be ordered, so I would shoot for a SCM Dark Cherry Fade 16x20 to match my birch performers, which would be neat (and somewhat Gadd-esque). The other option is ordering a B/B 18x20 in DCF, but I don't care much for the 18" depth though. Birch Performers can't be special-ordered whatsoever.

porter

Platinum Member
The official verdict I received on the Tama forum was that MIJ SCM's can still be ordered, so I would shoot for a SCM Dark Cherry Fade 16x20 to match my birch performers, which would be neat (and somewhat Gadd-esque). The other option is ordering a B/B 18x20 in DCF, but I don't care much for the 18" depth though. Birch Performers can't be special-ordered whatsoever.
I think the maple would make a better kick drum anyways. IMO Gadd had it right with that setup.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
We setup bass drums completely different than the toms (most of us anyway). U don't necessarily have to buy the exact same wood type. I'm sure Tama can match that finish.