Opinions-About to order new drum set

wildbill

Platinum Member
Are you offering help or being sarcastic? Hard to tell.
Uh...not my building...dealers building.
Neither really, just anxious to see them. Before you posted, I only saw the Butterscotch and a Candy Apple red set at GC.

The ones you got look really good. (y) Looks like you got a matching snare too - cool. I haven't tried one of those yet.

Probably too soon to ask how you're liking them though.

Ronzo

Neither really, just anxious to see them. Before you posted, I only saw the Butterscotch and a Candy Apple red set at GC.

The ones you got look really good. (y) Looks like you got a matching snare too - cool. I haven't tried one of those yet.

Probably too soon to ask how you're liking them though.
Thanks man.
I won the snare a few months ago at a clinic. Gave me an excuse to buy the other shells.
Little known fact about the chocolate and licorice satin, if you scratch them they smell like chocolate and black licorice. 😁
They sound great! Huge upgrade for me. Cannot believe the bass in the bass. Unreal!!!!
I was easily talked into buying a set of Sabian AAX...old logo at a discount.
This may sound dumb but do all drums have the logo on both sides?
I am a lefty and never get logos facing outward. (y)

Ronzo

Here we grow again.....
Want to add a tom to the set.
Already have 10/12/16 toms so should I add the 13 rack or 14 floor?

Last edited:

Tamaefx

Silver Member
22 10 12 13 16 is a great combo, and it allows to easily build a jungle kit 16 10 13 ;-).

Once you put the 14” floor tom and push the 16” away, the 14” becomes your main floor tom. You’ll find that your left hand won’t touch the 16” as much and well as it used to.

Last edited:

IBitePrettyHard

You already have 2 rack toms that have a nice interval with each other. I'd go with the 14" floor tom.

To me, 10, 12, 14f, 16f is slightly more practical than 10, 12, 13, 16f. And I think it would have slightly better resale value.

A 14" floor tom can be used instead of the 16" for lower volume gigs and small stages. Stuff like jazz, fusion, funk or blues. A 16" can also work, but a 14" may be slightly more ideal, volume-wise and tone-wise.

The only reason I'd go for the 13" is if...

A) you prefer a 3 up 1 down setup (and you don't mind a wider placement of toms in front of you, pushing the hi-hat and ride further to each side).

B) you have a specific affinity for the sound of a 13" and want to put your 10" in the closet while going with a 12, 13, 16 setup.

A 14" floor tom can be added without effecting the placement of everything else. You can also put the 14" on the opposite side by your hi-hat. I do that and it works great!

wildbill

Platinum Member
With the new Tour Customs, if you get the 22/10/12/16 set, the only extra drums available so far (besides snares) are a 13" tom and a 14" floor tom.

If you get the 20/10/12/14 set like I have, the only extra size available is the 13" mounted tom.

AFAIK, you can't currently get an 8" tom, 16" floor tom, or 18" floor tom, or any other size bass drum separately.
Maybe someone could ask for a special order or something, but it doesn't seem likely. Hopefully that will change.

Ronzo

With the new Tour Customs, if you get the 22/10/12/16 set, the only extra drums available so far (besides snares) are a 13" tom and a 14" floor tom.

If you get the 20/10/12/14 set like I have, the only extra size available is the 13" mounted tom.

AFAIK, you can't currently get an 8" tom, 16" floor tom, or 18" floor tom, or any other size bass drum separately.
Maybe someone could ask for a special order or something, but it doesn't seem likely. Hopefully that will change.
My TCs are 22/16/12/10.
I find the rack toms more accessible if that makes sense. Whereas the floor tom requires more twisting. However I like the sound symmetry of 10/12/14/16 of the toms (that is why i am debating the 14) and have never played a 13. Heard mix reviews of 13s and would need to get a tom stand if I go with the 13. So far I am leaning towards the 14.
I know these may seem like trivial or stupid questions by some but as a new drummer it is nice to know I have a place to go to get advice. Thanks DRUMMERWORLD

Last edited: