Opinions-About to order new drum set

Ronzo

I am about to pull the trigger on a new drum set and find myself struggling with drum sizes.
I decided on a Yamaha Stage Custom (birch) and this is what I have landed on for drum sizes so far..........

Bass=22x17
Floor Toms=16x15 and 14x13
Tom Tom=12x8, 10x7 and 8x7

Not getting the snare as I have enough of those.

Here are the sizes available

Interested to hear your thoughts.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I had a Renown with the same sizes. Here's what I found after playing it for a year.....

1: The 8 and 10 RT's spent more time above and to the left of my hat on a separate dual stand doing auxiliary work (Faux latin and faux bongos) than they did in the rack position.
2: The 14 spent more time to the left of the snare doing the Larry Mullen Jr thing than it did in the Bonham position.

Apparently, I'm just a four-piece player, but like auxiliary percussion. You may find that you are the same, or you may find that you like 3U2D like some of the drummers here. Either way, the SC is a great kit, and should suit you well.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Personally I wouldn’t use an 8 and 10 in the same set-up, 10, 12, 16, 22 are in my experience complementary size intervals. Actually, if you want really distinct tom tones then 10, 13, 16 can make a lot of sonic sense, in that a medium tuned snare drum can sit between the 10 and 13. Not a lot of people seem to consider these sizes but they do work, less sympathetic snare buzz and a multiple fill options up down and every which way. The 14 floor is a compromise, I had a 14 floor premier Genista Birch that was good for small gigs or heavily miked but couldn’t ever link in with the kick.

I would recommend focussing on your core needs, 8 tom is a no....hope this helps

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I think you should be able to do most everything with that kit. I play a typical 10,12,14,16, 22 fusion size 6-piece myself, but these days it's mostly a 4-piece with the 10 and 14 tom, as well as a 12" aux snare.

Choices are personal and style specific. Unless it's really wacko, personal choice thrumps genre every time, though. All in the hands.

You are half way to having any possible popular configuration alternative. This is a good starting point and might well be all you'll ever need. It's not super expensive it to expand either if you want to see how yo feel about 13" or 18" tom or 18" or 20" bass drum down the line. Stage Customs won't go anywhere anytime soon as they're probably Yamaha's main bread and butter, regarding drums anyway.

V-Four

I am about to pull the trigger on a new drum set and find myself struggling with drum sizes.
I decided on a Yamaha Stage Custom (birch) and this is what I have landed on for drum sizes so far..........

Bass=22x17
Floor Toms=16x15 and 14x13
Tom Tom=12x8, 10x7 and 8x7

Not getting the snare as I have enough of those.

Here are the sizes available

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Love the idea.

I got the SC but w the 20" BD. I also have the added 8" tom (which I definitely get my $$ worth out of). Also will be getting the 16" FT when the opportunity arises.

Do it.

T.

wildbill

Platinum Member
In the US, the Stage Custom w/the 22" bass comes with 10, 12, 16, and a snare.

So you'd have to buy the 8 and the 14 separate. Don't know if it's different where you are.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Here's my thoughts, as requested.

12 x 8
13 x 9
16 x 15
22 x 17
Another floor if you want. I like the 3 tom setup,. A high, a medium and a low pitch. Anything else is not essential IMO.

I used to love the 10" tom, now it's fallen out of favor to the 12 as the high tom.

The 10" tom live and unmiced...it just dies too quick. Home kits or miced up kits, a 10" is great.

The 8" tom is just way too small for me, whether miced or not. YMMV.

Great choice those Stage Customs.

Darth Vater

When I read about people choosing a Stage Custom kit it's just a head scratcher to me as to what kits they ruled out coming to that decision. :unsure:

IBitePrettyHard

What styles of music do you play, and have you played a large kit like that before?

Of course I don't know your level of experience, or whether you truly know you'll need that many drums. A large drum kit is alluring.....until you gig with it and realize 4-5 piece kits are more practical.

My point is, IF you're not 100% sure you'll use all those drums, it might be worth considering buying a smaller, higher quality kit. Quality over quantity if you catch my drift.

There's nothing wrong with the Yamaha Stage Custom though...that's the best choice in that price range IMO. It's a budget level kit with mid-level aspirations.

If you're set on the large Stage Custom kit, you'll of course want to buy a shell pack first, and then fill in the missing drums with special orders.

If you happen to play a wide variety of music such as Rock AND Jazz, you may want to consider going the multiple bass drum route instead of the extra toms. Add an 18" bass drum for the Jazz or small venue Pop/Funk gigs. Then you have a shell bank to cover everything.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Here's my thoughts, as requested.

12 x 8
13 x 9
16 x 15
22 x 17
Another floor if you want. I like the 3 tom setup,. A high, a medium and a low pitch. Anything else is not essential IMO.

I used to love the 10" tom, now it's fallen out of favor to the 12 as the high tom.

The 10" tom live and unmiced...it just dies too quick. Home kits or miced up kits, a 10" is great.

The 8" tom is just way too small for me, whether miced or not. YMMV.

Great choice those Stage Customs.
So your 10” Guru dies too quick? My 10” Pearl Reference is every bit as live as the 12x9 it’s paired with. Maybe not all 10’s are created equally?

harryconway

Platinum Member
I pretty much base my kit around a 1 up, 2 down ..... so I'd be really happy with a 12, 14, 16 in that configuration. As KamaK stated, 8 and 10 would find a spot left of the hats. And since I play a center hat, my "left of" isn't as far left as a lot of folks. Essentially, I'm playing all those sizes you've about to order.

Attachments

Woolwich

Silver Member
FWIW I’d go with 10”, 12” and 13” on top. That puts the 12” as the middle Tom which in my opinion and for the way I play would give a richer sound for fills between the snare and nearest Tom. I used to have that set up with a kit and it worked well, I’ve never had an 8” Tom but for me the size and the sound I imagine I’d get out of it when compared to my 10” are not something I’d want. All “in my opinion” of course.
What this topic has also highlighted to me is the lack of generally available 13” Toms nowadays on mainstream mid level kits.

KEEF

If you're set on 3+2 then I agree with Woolwich - 10,12,13 + 14,16 FT's would be my choice. The 10 can be tuned up enough to cover most of the sonic space of an 8....and it's easier to hit!! :LOL:

KamaK

Platinum Member
I pretty much base my kit around a 1 up, 2 down ..... so I'd be really happy with a 12, 14, 16 in that configuration. As KamaK stated, 8 and 10 would find a spot left of the hats. And since I play a center hat, my "left of" isn't as far left as a lot of folks. Essentially, I'm playing all those sizes you've about to order.
Out of curiosity, what do you use the 8/10 for? Do you incorporate them into fills, or do you use them to emulate hand drums and other odd percussion pieces?

Here's an example of when I would use them (to emulate the hand drums during the intro). Listen to the first 15 seconds.

Ronzo

I appreciate all the feedback...positive or otherwise. Makes one think.
To those wondering why I decided on the Yamaha SC it was due to price and the quality of Yamaha products.
No only their drums but all Yamaha products.
My sled, motorcycle, outboard engine and stereo equipment have all be Yamaha and trouble free.
My decision came down to the Pearl Decade (maple) and Yamaha SC (birch).
I originally was looking at the Yamaha Tour Custom but it is a little out of my price range but I am keeping my eyes open for something used in the meantime.
I am a fairly new drummer and play all sorts of music from jazz to metal and everything in between.
Based on feedback here and other stuff I read I am going to scrap the 8" tom for now.
Changed my picks to:

Bass=22x17
Floor Tom=16x15
Tom Tom=10x7, 12x8 and 14x11

I considered the 13" tom but like the symmetry of 2" between toms......my ocd I guess.
Thanks again!!!!!!!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
So your 10” Guru dies too quick? My 10” Pearl Reference is every bit as live as the 12x9 it’s paired with. Maybe not all 10’s are created equally?
At a gig live and unmced....to my ear every 10" drum dies too quick, by virtue of it's (lack of) size. Yea even the Guru. I'd probably think your Reference 10" tom dies too quick too. Brand shouldn't matter. It's a physics thing. That's why I'm a 12/13 guy now. I love the note a 10" makes. I can get that note with a 12" and still have the sustain I need.

I finally graduated from 10/12 :)

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I had a Renown with the same sizes. Here's what I found after playing it for a year.....

1: The 8 and 10 RT's spent more time above and to the left of my hat on a separate dual stand doing auxiliary work (Faux latin and faux bongos) than they did in the rack position.
2: The 14 spent more time to the left of the snare doing the Larry Mullen Jr thing than it did in the Bonham position.

Apparently, I'm just a four-piece player, but like auxiliary percussion. You may find that you are the same, or you may find that you like 3U2D like some of the drummers here. Either way, the SC is a great kit, and should suit you well.
I agree with 8 inch tom being a little fussy to deal with. Save your money on this one and get the 10 and 12

harryconway

Platinum Member
Out of curiosity, what do you use the 8/10 for? Do you incorporate them into fills, or do you use them to emulate hand drums and other odd percussion pieces?
Mostly I use them in the groove pattern. Rather than my right hand always hitting the snare, they give me some tonal options for the left hand to play with. For "mimicking" other types of percussion, I have a Mandala V1, a Korg Wavedrum. ad a Roland SPD-S that I use.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Based on feedback here and other stuff I read I am going to scrap the 8" tom for now.
Changed my picks to:

Bass=22x17
Floor Tom=16x15
Tom Tom=10x7, 12x8 and 14x11

I considered the 13" tom but like the symmetry of 2" between toms......my ocd I guess.
Thanks again!!!!!!!
I'm assuming you'll mount the 12 and 14 on the bass drum, correct? My only thought is the 11" depth might be a bit limiting over the bass drum.

On paper I totally agree the 2" spacing between toms is nice, but I still think a 13" is a great choice. One, even when I use a 12-13-16 set up I've never had a problem tuning plenty of difference between the three, but two, I've recently begun using 10-13-16 and not only does that give me more room side to side, the 9" depth of the 13" tom means I can get my toms a little lower too.

Just something else to consider... :)

Ronzo

Yeah...i am struggling with that as well.
My initial thought was mounting the 10 and 12 on the base and putting the 14 on a cymbal/tom stand or a separate stand.
Considering the 13 over the 14.